Advice/ tips on caring for a duckling?

fr4ncisforever

Hatching
Jun 10, 2023
Hello, I am a teenage girl and I recently got my first pet duckling and Im definitely new at this & have a few questions on how to better care for my duckling so would love any sorts of tips/advice you guys have!! My first question is how many times a week should I bathe my duckling and with just water or water and soap? My brother in law recommended dawn dish soap so I bought the green travel size one but not sure if that’s a good option as I’m new to this. Second question is what should I feed my duckling, how much should it eat on a daily basis, and how many times should I feed it daily? I’ve been feeding it the duck food the past owner recommended to me but not sure if it can eat anything other than that. Third question is are ducklings supposed to chirp a lot? My family says she just “likes to talk a lot” but I’m not sure, just want to be safe and make sure it’s normal. Even after I feed her and give her water she chirps so it can’t be that she’s hungry.. right? Maybe she’s just a talkative duckling, not sure though Pls let me know if this happens with yours as well! :) Final question; Although Im homeschooled, i am a very busy teenager and never home too often until late at night because of my moms job so I was wondering if anyone knew any great portable pet carriers/bags so I could have my duckling with me at all times on the go. Also, I am going on vacation to florida next month and if anyone knew any great pet cameras, playpens/cages, automatic pet feeders, blankets, beds, etc, for ducklings then please please do recommend! Thank you!
43A0245F-6257-4F3A-9E66-6552C3259686.jpeg
83895A0C-ED0F-4933-BA3A-EE202F4349F5.jpeg
C1B7C485-4891-4F2E-A1BC-4A61F4A644BF.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome!
You should feed your duckling an age appropriate duck feed.
What your ducks eat matters.
Are you able to purchase a bag of it from your local feed store?

Your duckling needs feed and water 24/7 until at least 5-6 weeks old after that just food and water during the day. Never put out feed without water they can choke without water. You also want a bowl deep enough the duckling can dunk it's head to clean its nares and eyes out very important for health.

Never wash your duckling in soap you want it to be waterproof and washing in dawn will remove all oils off it's feathers which keep the duckling/duck waterproof. If you want to let it bathe and play in water start with warm water up to the tops of its legs then go deeper after it is used to being in the water. When they just have down and no feathers they can get waterlogged and drown and also get chilled so stay right with your duckling while it's playing in the tub. make sure to remove before the water gets cooled off pat dry and put back in the brooder with heat.

If your duckling is peeping loudly it is probably lonely they do so much better if they have another duck or 2 to keep them company.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/why-you-shouldnt-keep-just-one-duck.1228573/

I would say that you need to get at least one more duckling of a similar age, as ducks get very lonely if they don't have socialization with others. If you are going on holiday and your duckling isn't coming with you, he will be extremely lonely and very sad all alone.

In the meantime, before you have found him a little friend, you can put a mirror in the brooder and a little soft toy. Also, when you go on holiday, personally, I would get someone to care for your duckling rather than doing it from your phone, as it's a risk if anything goes wrong. Ask neighbors, friends, or a house and pet sitter.

Also what is your brooder setup? Do you have heat for him?

Back
Top Bottom