Advice whether this chicken coop is good or not

Thanks guys for the help!
I'm checking craigslist out like one of you said and i am finding better ones on there and they are near by so i can pick them up instead of paying shipping :]

For anyone who asked, i live in CT
And we are building a run/enclosure with wire/fencing so we can also sit in there with them.
We can't build a coop ourselfs because we dont have the supplies or time to do it (but we have the fencing and wire left over from other stuff to build the enclosure though) , though yes it would probably be better to build a coop ourselves and i wish we could.
So, we are trying to find a decent one for my chickens and if need be we will renovate it :], its just easyer for us to get something pre-owned and then alter it.

Don't do it!!
We bought one very similar to this. Said it was good for 6-8+ chickens. NO WAY!!!! Maybe 2-3, but absolutely no more than 3.
There is not enough ventilation. My husband had to add vents. Very difficult to clean. The slide out tray sounds like a good idea, but is really a pain in the backside!
No place to hang water, so we put a waterer up on a brick and the chckens kept knocking it over and soaking the bedding! PAIN, PAIN, PAIN!!!
The good thing about this coop is that we had to research and design our our coop. We built a deluxe coop and our girls are so happy to be out of that slum!
Don't do it!!!

Quote:
thank you, i was starting to think it would be a bad design.
Don't worry, im checking out some coops people in my area are selling that they dont need anymore.
I wan't my chickens to be happy i won't stick them i something horrible and cramped :]

Do you have your chickens already? If not, are you getting chicks? Someone told me that chicks have a hard time surviving in the North with our winters. Hopefully your chickens are full grown or you are buying grown ones. Good luck with the coop!

there were 2 ads on craigslist in the tristate area for free coops (needed a little tlc)
i love how one guy was like pick up only or he could deliver for an astronomical fee
lol.png

http://newyork.craigslist.org/search/zip?query=coop&srchType=A&minAsk=&maxAsk=

ETA: really butters? i heard chickens do okay in the winter, silkies have problems with hot summers
idunno.gif

Last edited:
Always check the dimensions of the housing itself minus the nest boxes (because you don't want them "living" in those - trust me...lol...poopy eggs). That housing is just over 8 sq. ft. - not enough for 2 LF and 4 bantams. In your area, you'll want to stick with the minimum recommendations of 4 sq. ft for LF and many say half that for bantams - but if your bantams are active breeds, I'd stick with LF recommendations. Even if you went by the 4/2 thing though, it's too small by half. I'm not sure why so many people are saying it's an appropriate coop???
hu.gif

Quote:
I didn't have the time myself (or the money) when I built my Coop twenty plus years ago. But I did it anyway with as much salvage material I could find such as bricks, windows, lumber, and shingles. I only had to buy the plywood sheathing and mortar. I did it on weekends over a year and a half. It's been doing great for a couple decades now. (see my BYC page for pics) The advantage to taking the time is all the research and planning you have to do. I found that using a sub-ground level dirt floor composting pit with deep litter was the most efficient. I also planted Illinois Everbearing mulberry trees in the future run which has worked out great for free food.

Quote:
I didn't have the time myself (or the money) when I built my Coop twenty plus years ago. But I did it anyway with as much salvage material I could find such as bricks, windows, lumber, and shingles. I only had to buy the plywood sheathing and mortar. I did it on weekends over a year and a half. It's been doing great for a couple decades now. (see my BYC page for pics) The advantage to taking the time is all the research and planning you have to do. I found that using a sub-ground level dirt floor composting pit with deep litter was the most efficient. I also planted Illinois Everbearing mulberry trees in the future run which has worked out great for free food.

ya, i actually talked to my fiance about building one last night because he use to be a handyman.
So i think we are going to try and fit some time in to make a good one.
Atleast then we can customize it for our own needs of the chickens.
We might even make it bigger then we planned cuz then we can have more chickens in the future if we wished.

Back
Top Bottom