Advise Please!!

Birchwood

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 17, 2009
Southern Vermont
I recently got 13 chicks, about 12 weeks old!!! They were put in with some older pullets at night. Transition was fine, they all get along. Anyways the younger ones are eating the grower pellets and about half have swollen crops. I dont know what to do. I have read about the baking soda flush, but for 8(maybe more, some wont let me see) chicks?!?

Any other cures for swollen crops?

When chickens overeat, their crops can get very large. this is not a problem. You'll need to remove the food for one night and in the morning before they eat anything, check their crops. If they are still just as large as the night before, you may have a problem. If they have gone down like they should, no problem, just healthy chicks eating well!! I would not treat this concern until you make full sure it really is a problem. Chances are you will find there is no problem. Let us know.

what time in the day is the crop swollen. At night all chickens should have a nice big crop and in the morning it should be back to normal. If the crop is still large in the morning it could be impacted. Have you tried to massage the crop. Giving all little bit of oil and massaging the area helps relieve them.

You would give them oil in their beak so the oil goes into the crop and will help to loosen it up. But why put them through all that if not necessary. Before you treat, diagnose the problem, if there is even one. Anytime you force any type of fluids in their beak you risk getting it into their lungs.

Back
Top Bottom