Aerial crop dusting issues with a cockerel afterward - correlation or coincidence?

Crazy Maizie

Free Ranging
Jul 3, 2020
Neighboring field was aerial dusted and there was a slight wind that afternoon (not sure why they didn't spray in the morning). We saw the spray range via camera plus we were outside when they started. My concern is of course regarding my chickens and ducks. I'm pretty sure the field isn't organic.

One of my 4 mo cockerels now isn't feeling well. He has crop issue, his comb has purple tips, and he's a bit unsteady. His droppings are watery and black. I've been treating him for sour crop since yesterday evening (Tuesday). The field was sprayed Saturday. But, I was out of town and my husband was tending to the flock. He might not have noticed this fellow as he is not the chicken keeper. I have a camera out and Monday morning he was fine. He's had no issues except pasty butt as a chick.

So, I guess my question is could whatever they sprayed be affecting him or is it just coincidence?

Black diarrhea in chickens normally means there’s internal bleeding. Does he possibly have some sort of parasite?

My cockerel just passed.

We are working with the state to see what was sprayed and to have the property tested as the farmer isn't being forthright with info. We will send him off for a necropsy.

My cockerel just passed.

We are working with the state to see what was sprayed and to have the property tested as the farmer isn't being forthright with info. We will send him off for a necropsy.
I’m sorry you lost your bird. Frustrating that the farmer isn’t forthcoming with info. Following, out of curiosity regarding the results. 😢

Back
Top Bottom