Sour Crop issue

Hensofthehill

Songster
Oct 20, 2021
Northern Minnesota, USA
Hello everyone,

I have a bit of situation going on with one of my roosters and hoping I can get some additional insight what to do. This rooster is 11 months old and I hatched him along 50+ other birds last spring. He is one of the few that had such a good temperament that I couldn't send him to the freeze camp. He is a mix of Lavender Orpington and Australorp. Beautiful guy...

My flock free ranges in heavy wooded are with some grass available, dry leaves a lot of insects and always have access to multiple water bowls and feed that I ferment for them overnight. No dry food!

Few days ago I noticed that he is hanging out away from the flock, not as active but didnt make much out of this. Yesterday I noticed that when he was running he had a HUGE crop that was dangling when he was running for treats. I picked him up and oh my the smell from his beak...

Long story short I tried giving him some epsom salt with water in the morning then massaging his crop to break down the clog and then tilting him head down and massaging his crop for 5 seconds so he can empty it out, no luck only a bit of brown stinky fluid came out. I did this 5 or 6 times without much luck.

Before going to bed I was able to give him 25 ml or so of sunflower oil and massaged his crop again before letting him into his isolation cage. This morning crop is full, barely any pop, mostly watery substance.

Attached picture where he is close up, his comb changed color, the pic of him and a hen was made last week and he looks so good in it.

What can I do for him at this point of time? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. @Eggcessive do you happen to have any suggestions?

Thank you so much in advance to anyone for any suggestions...

Attachments

• photo_2023-05-23_08-37-49.jpg
    photo_2023-05-23_08-37-49.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 17
  • photo_2023-05-23_09-15-36.jpg
    photo_2023-05-23_09-15-36.jpg
    360.9 KB · Views: 5
Thank you so much for your reply @Eggcessive! He doesnt seem to have any signs of respiratory infection. Maybe it was just that picture. Attachging a new pic to my message. He seems to be doing a bit better today, at least the color of his comb is with my massage and clean efforts yesterday. I will try steps in this amazing article that you shared, maybe I can save him... If anyone else has any other suggestions, please feel free to chirp up?

Attachments

• photo_2023-05-23_15-46-14.jpg
    photo_2023-05-23_15-46-14.jpg
    257.2 KB · Views: 2
What are you feeding him? Do you have granite poultry grit out for your chickens to take as needed for their gizzards to grind up food and grass? Check his crop each morning before he eats or drinks, to see if it is emptying overnight.

What are you feeding him? Do you have granite poultry grit out for your chickens to take as needed for their gizzards to grind up food and grass? Check his crop each morning before he eats or drinks, to see if it is emptying overnight.
thank you so much @Eggcessive ! I have grit available for them and water at all times. I feed him and the rest of my flock 17% layer feed from local mill. I soak it in a bucket overnight so its easier to digest for them. In the morning it becomes a thick oatmeal consistency mixture. Should I not do that?

He is isolated for now in a dog cage until he is better. I am trying to empty his crop but is is still large and puffy. Will continue doing the steps outlined in the article you've shared.

I am thinking that because other rooster who is higher in the pecking order than this one is chasing this one away all the time and this one was hungry and ate something quick and a lot. Is that a possibility?

I also have moistened some chicken feed, but I would not soak it all night long, since it could spoil if they are eating it all day long. It usually gets wet pretty quick if you just add the water and stir it for a few minutes. Don’t mix more than they can eat in a few hours, and wash the pan well.I have also used fermented feed, but did not like that after 7 months.

Back
Top Bottom