Affordable Fun Finds

The babies are 10 days old today and the top of the box is fenced in. Flying out of the box is not allowed šŸ˜‰ And if the weather is nice, I will start to take them out on field trips next Saturday. I'd like to give them one more week.

So far, I have really been enjoying the process.šŸ„°

I pick up large dog crates that people throw away and use as nest boxes, broody hen with eggs and then with the chicks as their home as well as chicken carriers.
Someone threw away what I guess was a rabbit or Guinea pig enclosure on legs. Screened in (needed some screen replacement) with a hinged screened lid! Awesome brooder for these last batches of chicks. Good sized too. Feel extraordinarily lucky to have snagged that!

I made an inexpensive collar for my cats so when the birds are trying to hatch their eggs, so they are not pounced on and eaten/injured. Anyone can make one of these - just put some colorful zip ties around the regular collar (making sure it is a quick release) and it throws off the cat's pounce-ability. They can still eat/drink/get up a tree....it goes through a kitty door easily. But it cuts WAY down on the cat's naughty behavior when it comes to the birds.

Attachments

• DSC_0013.JPG
    DSC_0013.JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC_0009.JPG
    DSC_0009.JPG
    110.3 KB · Views: 2
Thank you for the suggestion on the boxes! I got two and two of the little pallets. Iā€™m excited to see what they do with them. I also scored a T-Rex shaped mirror and idk if they will like it, but it makes me smile šŸ˜…

I don't have a membership at Costco, but a person I know does, so I wonder if they would be able to pick up some boxes for me. I hope they will be as generous and helpful as that guy that you ran into was!
I got mine from a grocery store. Watermelon box just ask the produce department when you can pick one up.

Back
Top Bottom