Affordable Fun Finds

Strong Bad

Songster
Feb 11, 2023
New Jersey
Who doesn’t love to save a buck or two! My baby chicks love these little boxes from Dollar Tree. They’re like baby nesting boxes, too cute! And they seem to like these mini pallets too.

Other finds from Dollar Tree: feed scooper, thermometer and clip claps to close my feed bag.

Personally, the best find for me is my brooder box. Free from Costco!

What are your affordable fun finds for your chickens?

Attachments

• IMG_4806.jpeg
    IMG_4806.jpeg
    286.5 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_4808.jpeg
    IMG_4808.jpeg
    419.7 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_4812.jpeg
    IMG_4812.jpeg
    381.6 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_4649.jpeg
    IMG_4649.jpeg
    382.3 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_4811.jpeg
    IMG_4811.jpeg
    417.4 KB · Views: 57
Oh my gosh too cute! What do the chicks do in the little boxes? How did you make the brooder? That is such a good idea! I really want to have a chick hatchery so I need really big affordable brooders.
I just love Dollar Tree❤️💲🌳 If you find any other things from there that you find useful for chicks and chickens, update us!!!!
:goodpost:

Last edited:
Some gals sleep in the little boxes, others perch. At a dollar something each, I couldn't go wrong!

I was at Costco when I told a random associate that I was picking my baby chicks soon and needed a brooder. After explaining what a brooder was, he searched the back and came out with this produce box. It's absolutely perfect!

I ended up calling Costco later that day and told the manager that I received the best customer service from this young man. I didn't go into the whole brooder thing with the manager. In fact, I didn't even tell the manager that he gave away the box. I just focused on his outstanding service.

What's nice about these produce boxes is that there are holes in 4 corners. I covered two completely, and partially covered the other two where I threw a roost for the chicks. They are not using the roost as of it. But I suspect they will in a couple of weeks.

Just an FYI, the box will work for a brooder for about 10 days to 2 weeks. By that time they will be flying out of there.

And really they will need more space than that, healthy chicks need space to run. At the very least get them outside in fresh air and sunshine as soon as possible. A trick I use sometimes, is to put them outside in my fenced garden if you do not have a coop and run set up. Tip the box over, and they will eventually get brave and explore, when they get tired they will come back to the box, and you can bring it in for the night.

Healthy chicks are a lot of fun. They really do not need a heat lamp for weeks and weeks. Do set it up, so that there is a warm spot near 95 degrees and a cool spot about 50-60 degrees - put the food and water there. If you watch a broody hen, she does not keep them under her all the time - they go out in much cooler temperatures, run and play, and then take a nice nap under mama - this really helps with their feather development, and temperature control.

This is a fun hobby.

Mrs K
They are not using the roost as of it. But I suspect they will in a couple of weeks.

Some gals sleep in the little boxes, others perch. At a dollar something each, I couldn't go wrong!

I was at Costco when I told a random associate that I was picking my baby chicks soon and needed a brooder. After explaining what a brooder was, he searched the back and came out with this produce box. It's absolutely perfect!

I ended up calling Costco later that day and told the manager that I received the best customer service from this young man. I didn't go into the whole brooder thing with the manager. In fact, I didn't even tell the manager that he gave away the box. I just focused on his outstanding service.

What's nice about these produce boxes is that there are holes in 4 corners. I covered two completely, and partially covered the other two where I threw a roost for the chicks. They are not using the roost as of it. But I suspect they will in a couple of weeks.
I don't have a membership at Costco, but a person I know does, so I wonder if they would be able to pick up some boxes for me. I hope they will be as generous and helpful as that guy that you ran into was!

Just an FYI, the box will work for a brooder for about 10 days to 2 weeks. By that time they will be flying out of there.

And really they will need more space than that, healthy chicks need space to run. At the very least get them outside in fresh air and sunshine as soon as possible. A trick I use sometimes, is to put them outside in my fenced garden if you do not have a coop and run set up. Tip the box over, and they will eventually get brave and explore, when they get tired they will come back to the box, and you can bring it in for the night.

Healthy chicks are a lot of fun. They really do not need a heat lamp for weeks and weeks. Do set it up, so that there is a warm spot near 95 degrees and a cool spot about 50-60 degrees - put the food and water there. If you watch a broody hen, she does not keep them under her all the time - they go out in much cooler temperatures, run and play, and then take a nice nap under mama - this really helps with their feather development, and temperature control.

This is a fun hobby.

Mrs K
I did that too! In the middle of Spring or Summer or whenever it was, I took them out in my strawberry patch (fenced in) when it was 90 degrees out. They had so much fun.
Just remember to supervise them, I once had a chicky who was very lethargic after playing in the strawberry patch and was closing his eyes, I think he ate something that he wasn't supposed to like a spider or something.

Back
Top Bottom