Afraid I'm going to miss the first crow

paceysgl5

Chirping
9 Years
Jan 20, 2011
Taunton,MA
We currently have 22 chicks - most are 7 weeks old today, but two are 6 weeks old today and four are 5 weeks, 4 days old.

We moved them out to their coop with heat a week ago, and I'm assuming that at least 2 of the babies are roos. However I'm wondering if we'll be able to even hear the crowing? The coop is insulated and is about 300' from our house. So far we haven't heard anything when we spend time with them in the afternoons - will a baby roo crow any time of day? Anything that might get them more interested in crowing if they are going to?? Or will it be completely obvious when we do hear it, despite the distance??

My guy started crowing at around 8 weeks. Lucky lucky me, but mine are just outside my bedroom window, so I heard the first crow and every one since then. Mine now crows all the time. 300' away is pretty far. My neighbor has a rooster and I can hear his crow and he's a little over 200' feet away. So an extra 70' may not be too far either.

Try crowing at them to make them crow. Mine sometimes crows if I crow. I love the sounds of him crowing.

Yes... We are all excited to hear that first crow. BUT... the day comes when you lie in bed at 6:00 with the pillow pulled over your head wishing that that darn rooster would just shut the heck up....

Reasons that roosters crow.
Car drives by... Crow
Bug lands on coop screen at 2:00 AM... Crow
Another rooster crows... Crow
Light comes on in house... Crow
Light goes off in house... Crow
Hen moves... Crow
Wind starts blowing... Crow
Wind stops blowing... Crow
Wind isn't blowing... Crow.

Notice a trend here?

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif

I second that one! I remember hovering mine saying" Come on little man you can do it....crow for mommy....come on......let mommy here you....I'm waiting.....no take your time its a big step!" HAHA! Now I'm like OK bird you can stop now! But honestly, I still love hearing him even if its 5am, he's just that good!
lol.png
It'll be great when you finally hear it, be patient they are growing little boys....

Back
Top Bottom