1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Afraid to ask on my EE and SLW

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Cynthia12, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    I've been watching this one for 10 weeks.that's his/her age. I think I'm seeing some saddle feathers? [​IMG] Dad was a pure BO, and mom was an EE, mostly blue with some black in her wings and tail..striking color of an EE.. ok, here I go, a few pics..oh, and also wondering about my pure SLW. Not very good pictures of her, she is hanging with the EE.. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    And the last one that I really see what I think are saddle feathers? [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  2. Cynthia12

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    No one? I know there are a lot of experts out there. [​IMG]

3. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

From what I've read, only boys will have red on their wings like that. So I am saying the mix is a boy.

Also, that is not a pure SLW.

I need better pictures to guess on that one [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This is a SLW, my girl @ 5 1/2 months or so.

4. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    could be a hatchery SLW...mine were awful...OP, hate to tell you this, but I see two boys...can we have upclose pics of each one please? Side views if possible.

5. aoxa

Quote:I just don't see any lacing at all to be honest. That's why I think it's not full SLW.

They do both look like boys for that age. The black one has pretty shiny saddle feathers for a girl [​IMG]

6. kari_dawn

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    Quote:Good point. I don't really see any lacing either...Then again, my hatchery SLW had more splotches than lacing [​IMG] It would be easier to tell more if we could see the whole chicken.

7. Cynthia12

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Oh no, I promise that it is a pure SLW. I heard that it takes a while for the lacing to come out? The person I got the eggs from has been doing SLW for a long time, this is the 5th generation! Better be pure. Remember, only 10 weeks old. I was so hoping that the SLW especially was a girl. [​IMG]

Looking for a better picture, but it will be of the two together again.
    Shucks, I erased the one with the full face on of the SLW..but I am willing to get another! The comb and wattles are pretty red at this early stage..I think I have two roos too..but will get a good picture anyway. Back in a while. [​IMG]

8. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    I can see saddle feathers on the EE-2nd photo from bottom-Roo
    the other is a not so great photo but from what I see -roo

Sorry Cynthia:(

9. aoxa

Quote:For comparison, here is my SLW at 10 weeks old.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Her lacing was not in right at this age, but it was obvious it was lacing.

[​IMG]
    8 weeks old.

10. kari_dawn

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    Quote:Dunno about that...My laced birds were well laced by that age....here are a couple shots of my birds way younger than yours...they are BLRW, and even at 6 weeks, their lacing is far better developed than the bird in your pictures.

You can already see the lacing beginning to show in these pictures

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here are birds about the same age as yours

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is the same two birds a couple of months ago

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These are all hatchery birds. I would expect a 5th gen from a breeder to be superior quality in every way...especially lacing [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by