African goose, male or female?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by bock, Apr 5, 2010.

1. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    I rescued an abandoned African goose last year, and I was wondering they are male or female. Anyone know how to tell?[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  2. Friend2Fowl

Friend2Fowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    You tell by the size of their knobs. A male's knob is much bigger than a female. This would be the knob on the top of their beak, just for clarification [​IMG]

3. bock

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    Quote:Good idea, its just I don't have another one to compare it to. [​IMG]

4. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

my chinese goose has that same kind of knob. The girl knob is, at maturity, just a titch above the forehead level.. The man knob is about an INCH higher. looks ridiculous... but don't tell him that!

5. bock

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    chickensducks&agoose :

my chinese goose has that same kind of knob. The girl knob is, at maturity, just a titch above the forehead level.. The man knob is about an INCH higher. looks ridiculous... but don't tell him that!

HAHAHAHA [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  6. jinnjinn123

jinnjinn123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2013
    I have 5 grey african geese and I want to know which one is male and which one is female the one that has the orange bill is laying eggs I know that one is female but all the other ones look the same with black bills. are they all males? they all have that big nob on their bill I hope not all males.

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia "I Believe" Premium Member

Pics would help.

8. RURU

RURU Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    Troy, Missouri
    My Coop
    One can not tell what a goose without pictures!!! I have never raised African geese but did raise one Chinese gander. So will be able to help some.... I raise Sebastopol's only. But can not help if no pictures.....

1 person likes this.
  9. mominoz

mominoz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    North Georgia
    Females are shorter and their necks are shorter, I also think they have a more feminine expression. Africans have black bills and knobs, I think only a really old African can get orange on their bills... Otherwise it may be a hybrid....I also find the Ganders are more talkative and assertive.... Females are more timid with strangers....

10. SummerChick

SummerChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2010
    Somerset, Texas
    [​IMG]

Maybe this helps a bit... Goose on left and gander on right

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by