African goose, male or female?

bock

Songster
11 Years
Oct 10, 2008
Northern CA
I rescued an abandoned African goose last year, and I was wondering they are male or female. Anyone know how to tell?
hu.gif

Last edited:
You tell by the size of their knobs. A male's knob is much bigger than a female. This would be the knob on the top of their beak, just for clarification
tongue.png

chickensducks&agoose :

my chinese goose has that same kind of knob. The girl knob is, at maturity, just a titch above the forehead level.. The man knob is about an INCH higher. looks ridiculous... but don't tell him that!

HAHAHAHA
clap.gif

Last edited:
I have 5 grey african geese and I want to know which one is male and which one is female the one that has the orange bill is laying eggs I know that one is female but all the other ones look the same with black bills. are they all males? they all have that big nob on their bill I hope not all males.

I have 5 grey african geese and I want to know which one is male and which one is female the one that has the orange bill is laying eggs I know that one is female but all the other ones look the same with black bills. are they all males? they all have that big nob on their bill I hope not all males.
Pics would help.

One can not tell what a goose without pictures!!! I have never raised African geese but did raise one Chinese gander. So will be able to help some.... I raise Sebastopol's only. But can not help if no pictures.....

Females are shorter and their necks are shorter, I also think they have a more feminine expression. Africans have black bills and knobs, I think only a really old African can get orange on their bills... Otherwise it may be a hybrid....I also find the Ganders are more talkative and assertive.... Females are more timid with strangers....

Back
Top Bottom