African goose, male or female?

bock

Songster
11 Years
Oct 10, 2008
Northern CA
I rescued an abandoned African goose last year, and I was wondering they are male or female. Anyone know how to tell?
hu.gif

Last edited:
chickensducks&agoose :

my chinese goose has that same kind of knob. The girl knob is, at maturity, just a titch above the forehead level.. The man knob is about an INCH higher. looks ridiculous... but don't tell him that!

HAHAHAHA
clap.gif

Last edited:
One can not tell what a goose without pictures!!! I have never raised African geese but did raise one Chinese gander. So will be able to help some.... I raise Sebastopol's only. But can not help if no pictures.....

this is a known male ( I saw his you know)

This is the one I'm not sure about, they are both five months old and the Ganders knob is bigger. Neither have a flap on the tummy Please take a look JCHNY2000, let me know if they are Africans. As well as the mystery sex
Hmm, kinda hard to tell with them in the water. Knobs really are not a good indication of sex. Thicker legs, longer necks, higher pitched voices are boys. The one in question, is its neck & legs thinner, or shorter? Or do they look the same? If you have a confirmed male its much easier to make a judgement. The flap or lobe will come later, after they mature and begin to lay if you have a hen.

I was wondering if anyone can help me identify my Buff African Goose.... I'm hoping its a she.... but who knows... I do only have one African, and the honks seem low pitched (been looking on youtube to hear the difference....) I want to say I'm definite shes a she.... but then, her knob seems to be growing more... And I just don't know anymore... She was Born May 23, 2016.

0.jpg
I am voting she-a goose.

You tell by the size of their knobs. A male's knob is much bigger than a female. This would be the knob on the top of their beak, just for clarification
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom