African Grey Parrots

Wolf-Kim

Songster
11 Years
12 Years
Jan 25, 2008
Anyone have one of these or dealt with them?

I don't care for the macaws, too many I have met enjoy screaming as loud as they can.

Although, I seem to notice that the African Greys are more quiet and self contained. Is this true or is it just the birds I have met? I know they are probably capable of being very loud, but are they as loud and outgoing as the macaws are 24/7?

The few African Greys I have met, usually just mumble under their breath, like the just what to whisper to you, or they make interesting whistling or whirring noises.

-Kim

Oh, boy! You obviously haven't met Tommy, my sister's African Grey! He is obnoxiously loud. Can't stand it when Sis and I are talking on the phone, so he tries to chime in on the conversation. And it's even worse when I'm at her house! He may be the exception to the rule as he is the only one I know personally.
smile.png

Susan

Quote:
I was afraid of that. LOL

A local lady raises and sells birds in her petshop. She is a wonderful lady and her husband sells the fish. She breeds and raises most of her own birds. She has one Macaw named Candy, he is very obnoxious, screaming at people at all times. Hello, Goodbye, Let Me Out, all in different voices and tones. LOL Then you walk into the bird room to get a closer look he lures you in by getting quiet and cocking his head sweetly at you, then lunges at the cage door. Candy was a rescue and is a little bit on the crazy side.. LOL

Every now and then when I visit the petshop the lady will have a young African Grey.. She handfeeds them and all her Greys are seemingly quiet and shy..

The one I saw yesterday was 10 years old and very quiet and shy. Only making a whirring whistling noise when you went to walk away or sometimes he would whisper, mumbling something under his breath.. LOL

-Kim

"Let Me Out". A friends African grey almost got her in trouble with the police. She got home a bit later than usual to find a neighbor at her front door. The neighbor was going to call the police because she heard a woman inside screaming to be let out.

My sister also had a macaw that danced to "Walk Like an Egyptian". He could make the sound of a hammer hitting a nail and a coffee pot percolating. Strange bird and he was really mean.

I've known loud ones and quiet ones. The loud ones were owned by people who, if I were named supreme dictator, would never be allowed to own any form of parrot. I have nothing to back this up other than my own observations, but I have firmly convinced myself that there is a direct correlation between the loudness of a parrot and how much time the owner spends with it.
There are many things I would deny most people if I were supreme dictator. It's probably a very good thing that I have virtually no ambition
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom