african grey?

Hope your grey is feeling better! Some things to consider - cleaning agents, smoke, perfume type "air freshners", carpet cleaners, sprays and many other things people use in their homes can be death for a parrot. I have owned a pet shop as well as raised parrots for many years and unnatuaral products are one of the most common cause of death for parrots. I am careful to never use the plug in air freshners, perfumes, no teflon (at high temps it releases hazardous fumes), no smoking allowed, no unnatural cleaning products, no cedar bedding for anything. I use all natural cleaners, vinegar, baking soda, Murphy's Oil Soap, hot water steamers and ceramic or stainless steel cookware. I had one customer who lost all of her birds when a carpet cleaning company cleaned her carpets. The solution they used released deadly fumes. Remember, parrots bones are hollow thus the noxious chemicals infiltrate their systems quicker and more completely than mammals. Good luck with your grey!!! Keep us posted!

Hope your grey is feeling better! Some things to consider - cleaning agents, smoke, perfume type "air freshners", carpet cleaners, sprays and many other things people use in their homes can be death for a parrot. I have owned a pet shop as well as raised parrots for many years and unnatuaral products are one of the most common cause of death for parrots. I am careful to never use the plug in air freshners, perfumes, no teflon (at high temps it releases hazardous fumes), no smoking allowed, no unnatural cleaning products, no cedar bedding for anything. I use all natural cleaners, vinegar, baking soda, Murphy's Oil Soap, hot water steamers and ceramic or stainless steel cookware. I had one customer who lost all of her birds when a carpet cleaning company cleaned her carpets. The solution they used released deadly fumes. Remember, parrots bones are hollow thus the noxious chemicals infiltrate their systems quicker and more completely than mammals. Good luck with your grey!!! Keep us posted!

Thank you bunnibird for this valuable information, I didn't know how certain fumes in the air can affect them so much. I'm glad now to know what to look out for. I could only imagine how cleaning supplies can be a big factor in their health. I'm going to be more careful now, sometimes you don't realize how simple things can bring a negative impact to birds. I have outdoor birds too like quails, I bet this isn't as big an issue, since their outdoors and get fresh air circulated from outside but indoors birds are different since you share the house with them.

This is very important, Thank you again for providing this information, its a great reminder to be careful with air pollutants.
I appreciate it, Glad you posted this !!

African Greys are one of the more commonly kept parrots that not only have sensitive respiratory systems-- sometimes they are very sensitive!!
Greys can also be particularly susceptible to aspergillosis-- which can be fatal. Use care to keep the area your grey lives in free of damp things... such as the papers or material at the bottom of his or her cage, mildew spots, etc. Wet bedding can be a big problem for them, and especially stay away from the particulate beddings (cobb and litter type beddings, wood shavings are all bad for a parrot).

good job keeping her away from the pots and pans, also keep in mind that scented candles, cleaning sprays and air fresheners also really affect them. you did the right thing by calling a vet- stopping a normal behaviour almost always means illness. good luck with your baby!

Having a parrot in your house is great. I have many, I never use household cleaner, candles and frebrez, plus never ever use bug killer inside your house, Huggins makes a bug killer that is safe.
I have a timnh grey he is 28 years old lol he hates men he loves to chew on them, my poor husband gets attacked,its called the sneak attack Charger (Grey's name) will walk on the floor and if my husband is not paying no mind to him, Charger will bite him then run for his life,, as he is laughing in a human voice running to me so I will protect him. He is such a blast
air per....... ummm cant spell it but it cleans the air with filters I have lots of them in my house. The dander from the birds could hurt them too.you can find them at second hand stores,it helps a lot.
I hope your grey is doing great

Back
Top Bottom