African Harlequin Quail cages

Discussion in 'Quail' started by bsfarm1, Oct 20, 2011.

1. bsfarm1

bsfarm1 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2011
    Does anyone have any tips,recommendations,etc.,for housing African Harlequin Quail? Size of cage,flooring,wire or some other type of flooring which is easier on their feet? Thanks for any & all help!![​IMG]

2. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I use similar caging methods as my cbbq. There is no wire bottom as their feet are so delicate. Each cage is 26 “L x 14”W x 20”H

3. LynnA

LynnA Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2011
    Do you have pictures of your cages Quaillady? I am definitely going to need more cages! And a muffler, I have a cute little coturnix roo that really loves the sound of his own voice... [​IMG]

4. damionlake

damionlake Out Of The Brooder

Oct 10, 2011
    Im also looking into making harlequin cages. Can they be raised on solid floor? I imagine they would be smililaire to coturnix since they are almost derectly related?

5. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I will post some photos as soon as I get back from feeding and cleaning everyone.

6. Game Bird Guy

Game Bird Guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Victoria
    i would love to see some pics aswell:D

7. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    [​IMG]

The top is what I use for the African Harlequins.

8. kahlertm

kahlertm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    Durango, Colorado
    Those the Bracken Ridge ones Alex? I'm all over it if that is what they look like real time. They seemed smaller in other pics...but with birds in them it looks real good for separating an ankle or butt biting Coturnix who needs time out to chill out.
    Thanks for the pic and a lead on who's making it.
    T

9. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Those are homemade ones, larger than Brackenridge (taller that is). Coturnix were in the ones Prior to selling them and putting the AH in there. And made a couple more.

ETA: Brackenridge cages are too small for coturnix. They house the button pairs perfectly, however. I <3 them.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  10. kahlertm

kahlertm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    Durango, Colorado
    Gotcha. Looks like a 30 inch L rabbit cage with dividers & bottom wire removed...need that. Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by