Help!! New to Quail Seem Sick

Jackied89

Hatching
Mar 23, 2024
We just got some quail from an elderly person who knew nothing about caring for them. They were in a wire cage about 4’ off the ground and were just fed and watered. They have some issues as the pictures show. Can anyone help me with what I need to do to help them? Mites?? Infected eyes?? They were in a small area and probably bored to death.

Attachments

• IMG_0483.jpeg
    IMG_0483.jpeg
    733.7 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0484.jpeg
    IMG_0484.jpeg
    586.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0485.jpeg
    IMG_0485.jpeg
    538.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0486.jpeg
    IMG_0486.jpeg
    472.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0487.jpeg
    IMG_0487.jpeg
    559.6 KB · Views: 16
:welcome To me it looks like they are showing the results of overcrowding and neglect. Definitely they have been feather pecking/plucking and bullying one another. Not certain about the eyes and faces - possible fowl pox? Give them some space, clean feed and water, hiding places and hopefully they will improve.

Thank you both. We have them in a much larger pen than they had and have some trays down on the wire bottom for their feet and hay in it. Also put a branch inside with leaves to hide under. They’re having a blast hiding under them and making hiding spots in the hay.
Tomorrow we will make a run for them to go outside on the ground.

Could either of you tell me what breed these are? All he could tell me was they’re not Bob whites. I’m learning on the fly, just wanted to get them to a happier, healthier environment. Google and YouTube has helped but there’s just So Much info and a lot is contradictory.

Thank you both. We have them in a much larger pen than they had and have some trays down on the wire bottom for their feet and hay in it. Also put a branch inside with leaves to hide under. They’re having a blast hiding under them and making hiding spots in the hay.
Tomorrow we will make a run for them to go outside on the ground.
The quail must be very grateful for you! Well done! :clap:thumbsup

Thanks y’all. I’m trying to figure my way around in here, it’s huge with so much info. If it’s fowl pox they need to be far away from my chickens right?

Back
Top Bottom