after 1 1/2 years, I've lost a chicken to a predator (hawk)

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by OHMYCHICKIES, Sep 25, 2009.

1. OHMYCHICKIES

OHMYCHICKIES Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    I never thought I would but because I scolded my dog for biting at a chicken, (dog wanted the bread) and put her in for being bad. 5 minutes later I hear my chickens screams something fierce. I went outside and saw that all chickens were hiding either by the trunk of the tree or in the coop. I saw the rooster run as fast as he could and left other hens by a tree. I'm really thinking twice about him. Then I saw 1 hawk fly off and then another in a tree. My dog usually chases all hawks away. I counted my chickens and lost one, a young one [​IMG] Didn't see anything because I probably came out too late.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
  2. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    I'm so sorry

3. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    I'm sorry ... [​IMG]

4. OHMYCHICKIES

May 28, 2008
    Thank you....just wish my rooster did his job but he proves to be a lover and not a fighter [​IMG]

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I'm sorry. I too have lost a chicken to a hawk.

6. karen71

karen71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Bear, DE
    Sorry for your loss [​IMG] I have lost 3 to hawks- but 2 that I thought were lost and they came back to the coop - we can cross are fingers and hope [​IMG]

7. kipepeo

kipepeo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    NC KS
    I have a hawk show up twice this week. Have made a so so try to put up some cd's to help deter but need to do more just not sure what. I can't do ladders so I need help. Nothing happened so far but I don't want it to either. My roos got everyone warned and all went into the coop both times that I witnessed. I know free ranging has risks but want to try to limit them as much as possible.

What does anyone think of putting up that kind of camoflauge/shade net stuff not sure what to call it like army or whatever would that work? I have a large area between the coop and the older brooder across from it.

8. OHMYCHICKIES

May 28, 2008
    Thank you guys so much....I counted all the chickens again before I closed them up for the night and they were all there. Not sure if one was hiding and then came out later.

all I can think of is that they scream because of the threat and they all ran and hid.

I was kicking myself all day and sad about it. Now, I know not to lock up my dog.

Sorry for the emotional post and then they are all okay.

9. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I'm so glad they are all okay.

10. SunnyChic

SunnyChic Keep The Sunny Side Up

Mar 7, 2009
    [​IMG] I'm so glad you didn't lose one after all; don't apologize for being emotional - it would be heartbreaking to lose even one chicken!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by