after 1 1/2 years, I've lost a chicken to a predator (hawk)

OHMYCHICKIES

Songster
11 Years
May 28, 2008
I never thought I would but because I scolded my dog for biting at a chicken, (dog wanted the bread) and put her in for being bad. 5 minutes later I hear my chickens screams something fierce. I went outside and saw that all chickens were hiding either by the trunk of the tree or in the coop. I saw the rooster run as fast as he could and left other hens by a tree. I'm really thinking twice about him. Then I saw 1 hawk fly off and then another in a tree. My dog usually chases all hawks away. I counted my chickens and lost one, a young one
sad.png
Didn't see anything because I probably came out too late.

Last edited:
Thank you....just wish my rooster did his job but he proves to be a lover and not a fighter
roll.png

Sorry for your loss
hugs.gif
I have lost 3 to hawks- but 2 that I thought were lost and they came back to the coop - we can cross are fingers and hope
fl.gif

I have a hawk show up twice this week. Have made a so so try to put up some cd's to help deter but need to do more just not sure what. I can't do ladders so I need help. Nothing happened so far but I don't want it to either. My roos got everyone warned and all went into the coop both times that I witnessed. I know free ranging has risks but want to try to limit them as much as possible.

What does anyone think of putting up that kind of camoflauge/shade net stuff not sure what to call it like army or whatever would that work? I have a large area between the coop and the older brooder across from it.

Thank you guys so much....I counted all the chickens again before I closed them up for the night and they were all there. Not sure if one was hiding and then came out later.

all I can think of is that they scream because of the threat and they all ran and hid.

I was kicking myself all day and sad about it. Now, I know not to lock up my dog.

Sorry for the emotional post and then they are all okay.

wee.gif
I'm so glad you didn't lose one after all; don't apologize for being emotional - it would be heartbreaking to lose even one chicken!

Back
Top Bottom