After all he went through....

Mach 2

Chirping
Apr 2, 2020
It took me a long time to warm up to Rufio our Lavender Orpington rooster. When he went into full on war with the surprise Barred rock roo he was the survivor and got really beat up. He really couldn't walk or move his left wing for 2 weeks. We got close while he had to depend on me to move around and eat/drink, but he was gentle and a good protector and good with the girls. It took 8 weeks for him to lose his limp.

He got to the point that he didn't resent or fear me picking him up. Today he didn't show up for his meal worms and our boarder collie found him, he got tangled in the limbs of a white cedar and panicked himself into suffocation fighting being trapped by the throat. I felt bad I couldn't save him this time. Awful way to go.

It took me a long time to warm up to Rufio our Lavender Orpington rooster. When he went into full on war with the surprise Barred rock roo he was the survivor and got really beat up. He really couldn't walk or move his left wing for 2 weeks. We got close while he had to depend on me to move around and eat/drink, but he was gentle and a good protector and good with the girls. It took 8 weeks for him to lose his limp.

He got to the point that he didn't resent or fear me picking him up. Today he didn't show up for his meal worms and our boarder collie found him, he got tangled in the limbs of a white cedar and panicked himself into suffocation fighting being trapped by the throat. I felt bad I couldn't save him this time. Awful way to go.
Sorry for you loss. It as very unfortunate that he'd gotten so far into recovery and then was killed by something completely different. :hugs

I’m sorry :hugs I had a rooster named Napoleon who attacked anything and everything from hawks to dogs to people—he didn’t win with the people but he did with everything else he tangled with. Died this summer because our chicken sitters got mixed up on the days to let them out, and he and the hens were left in the coop during hot summer weather (3 out of 14 made it). It’s extremely saddening to have an animal die of something seemingly preventable, but we try our best and in the end it will all work out, even if it doesn’t seem like it right now.

I’m sorry :hugs I had a rooster named Napoleon who attacked anything and everything from hawks to dogs to people—he didn’t win with the people but he did with everything else he tangled with. Died this summer because our chicken sitters got mixed up on the days to let them out, and he and the hens were left in the coop during hot summer weather (3 out of 14 made it). It’s extremely saddening to have an animal die of something seemingly preventable, but we try our best and in the end it will all work out, even if it doesn’t seem like it right now.
Oh no! It's sad when a small mistake costs so much.

Oh no! It's sad when a small mistake costs so much.

Wow that was really a shame, we did pet sitting for a long time when the kids were little, we all treated them like they were ours (actually they were while folks were gone) not wind or rain or dark of night,,,,,I am convinced that's where they got there work ethic. We had a couple pass under our watch, from natural causes and still had a hard time with it. Its like trusting you with their family!! An honor really. So sorry it happened to you.

I'm sorry you lost Rufio, especially since you went through so much with him. I know animals aren't people, but I believe they can feel our love and caring for them, and that they understand and appreciate it. Rufio knew he was special to you, I'm sure.

Best thing about him was he stayed with his flock and never seemed to be a "rapist" like our barred rock. I know that is anthropomorphizing to a degree but Ruf always seemed to "ask" the girls and if they moved away he didn't chase them down. At least we have the memories. I never wanted a rooster after the first two were A--holes but I know they helped keep the girls safe and I'll look for another "keeper".

Wow that was really a shame, we did pet sitting for a long time when the kids were little, we all treated them like they were ours (actually they were while folks were gone) not wind or rain or dark of night,,,,,I am convinced that's where they got there work ethic. We had a couple pass under our watch, from natural causes and still had a hard time with it. Its like trusting you with their family!! An honor really. So sorry it happened to you.
They were very sorry about it, and are very responsible. They always did an excellent job and even though they don’t think of their birds as pets they always treated ours like royalty. Everyone makes mistakes :/

Back
Top Bottom