After being one the board for just a few days I’m finding out just ...

GrumpyOldMan

Chirping
9 Years
Jun 7, 2010
SE Louisiana
how dicey buying geese can be for others too. I thought I was the only one.

I though I had done enough research and could tell the difference between baby male and female Pilgrim geese. I didn’t / don’t believe it’s that hard. Well, now I’m positive “I” can the difference and won’t be screwed again. Or will I?

I saw pictures of two males and one female 4 to 6 week old Pilgrim gees on Cragslist… in Texas. One was DEFINITELY a female. Guy had 6 goslings. I made it PERFECTLY CLEAR in several e-mails we wanted a male and a female. I was ASSURED I would get a female. Guy couldn’t figure out how to ship them so I drove 375 miles one way to pick them up. His wife, (he was working and not there. I knew this would be the case before I drove up), told my wife and me that the day before someone had come and bought a pair, (they knew we were coming for the female) but her husband was SURE the smaller of the bunch was a female too. (BS!) So why the emphasis on he was SURE the smaller one was a female TOO? Hummmm! SOOOOOOOOOO doubtfully (sure looked like a gander to me) I bought the small one (it was super friendly and I would have gotten it anyway) and the next friendless one, positively a gander. As I suspected we have two ganders and my trust in people has take yet another blow. What is wrong with people? Why can’t they honor their word? The guy knew I was coming. He knew I want the female and yet he sold the only one he had after e-mailing back and forth with me for three days and promising us a female. This reminds me why I like animal’s sooooo much more than people. I can tell a snake when I see one and a dog will growl before biting but people will smile and pretend to be doing you a favor while doing you wrong.
sad.png
idunno.gif

Last edited:
I'm sorry that happened to you. Especially after traveling such a distance too. Some people are just dishonest and don't care. Its just that plain and simple.

I think with my case, (I paid for Roman Tufted eggs and ended up with a Brown Chinese goose along with a Roman Tufted one), I think it was accidental. But in your case, it was definitely done deliberately it seems and that's just terrible.

I hope you find a female or two for your two males.

I have Sebastopol juveniles available but I have all males. LOL

Laurie

Just to play devils advocate here, as a seller, Ive had people say they were coming to pick up birds, and for me to save a specific bird for them. I could have sold the birds, but I held them for this person who was coming the next day. Of course you know what happened, he never showed, and I lost the sale from the other people too.

I know it does put you in a bad spot. Probably the right thing would have been to Paypal them a deposit to hold the birds, but then again, its people you dont know, so you really wouldnt want to put money out there.

Tough spot.

Look once you got there, you knew you were screwed, You could take what they offered or go home and start over. Take what you have and use them for practice in goose raising. There is some chance you can pick up some females in the fall when people tend to cut down on the geese to carry over the winter. 9 out of 10 cutbacks will be ganders. The fact is that it is very late for goslings and late goslings are often inferior. Stay Grumpy but start searching earlier next year.

Quote:
Yep, you’re right, I should have just turned around and gone home. BUT! The wife had her heart set on gees and they were soooooo cute.

We have two gees, two ducks and two chickens and that’s about all our yard will handle. That’s why I was soooooooooooooo insistent on a male and a female; I knew we wouldn’t have room for more.

Again, yes, its my fault for not being more educated than I was. I thought I was just stupid and perhaps I was being told the truth and the small one really was a female. Yes I understand buyer beware and if you're ignorant people will take advantage of you and I take full responsibility for my mistake. It still pisses me off that people will be dishonest. They had a female. They knew I wanted the female. They knew I was coming to buy the female. They sold her anyway then lied to me.

Sorry but I have a very low tolerance for dishonesty and people that don’t keep their word. My word is my bond but too many people don't live by that rule.

I asked my wife last night which goose we were going to eat this Christmas so we could get a female. She just dipped her brow and gave me one of THOSE looks. You see they are for petting not eating.

Quote:
I offered that!

--- On Sat, 5/15/10, [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:

> From: [email protected] <[email protected]>
> Subject: Re: Pilgrim Geese for Sale - $20 (Manvel)
> To: "xxxx xxxx" <[email protected]>
> Date: Saturday, May 15, 2010, 2:56 PM
>
> We need to work out payment. We can use
> PayPal if you like; I already have an account. Let me know
> when you decide on how you would like to be
> paid and I’ll give you information you need.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jerry < That's me.

We e-mailed a total of 12 times in three days. I don’t believe people would care to read all of them but hopefully that one shows my intent. All he needed to do was give me his account info. He didn’t! I brought cash.

Last edited:
Ah, well, you did indeed do the right thing. Hopefully your next buying experience will be much better. Odds are it will be.

Back
Top Bottom