After coccidiosis chick death: disposal and sanitation?

thinkfreee5

In the Brooder
Jun 9, 2023
Please forgive me if this is posted somewhere, I couldn't find exact answers. (Feel free to link if you know.)

I have one 4 week old chick that passed today from coccidiosis. There are 7 other chicks the same age but all look fine currently, I am giving them Corid water just to be on the safe side. Using 1 tsp Corid per 1/2 gallon of water.

My questions now are:

1- What is the best way for me to dispose of her body since she was infected? Burning?

2- What is the most effective disinfectant? We have the chicks in one of those pre-fabricated coops until they're old enough to go with the rest of the flock. So it's that somewhat flimsy wood with hardware cloth. The wood is pretty porous, is there a good way to make sure that's cleaned properly? I have read a 10% solution of ammonia, not sure if there are other or better ways? Or how long to let that ammonia mixture sit, etc.?

3- We have a flock of 13 adult chickens who live about 100 feet away from where I have the little chicks. Should I treat them with Corid water as well? I don't think they would have it since there's been zero contact with the chicks, but I don't really want to find out the hard way.

Thanks a bunch!

I'm sorry for your loss. Just bury the chick in the ground away from your birds.
Go ahead and use the ammonia. A sprayer or spray bottle will help. Wear a mask when spraying. Let it set for about 10 or 15 minutes and then wipe it off with old rags or an old towel. You can use a fan to dry the wood quicker after the wipe down if you wish.
No need to give your older birds the Corid.

I'm sorry for your loss. Just bury the chick in the ground away from your birds.
Go ahead and use the ammonia. A sprayer or spray bottle will help. Wear a mask when spraying. Let it set for about 10 or 15 minutes and then wipe it off with old rags or an old towel. You can use a fan to dry the wood quicker after the wipe down if you wish.
No need to give your older birds the Corid.
Thank you! I appreciate the advice. All of the other littles are still looking good but I’m going to keep a close eye on them. What are your thoughts on giving medicated feed along with Corid water? I’ve never used medicated feed before, but I’ve also never dealt with cocc. Now I’m a little freaked out. 🙃

I use medicated chick starter as well. The "medication" in the feed is a very small amount of Amprolium .
It is an aid to help deter coccidiosis in chicks but doesnt prevent nor treat coccidiosis.
If you keep waterers and feeders feces free, clean bedding, roosts etc...I dont see a need to give the healthy chicks Corid. Only use it if needed.

I use medicated chick starter as well. The "medication" in the feed is a very small amount of Amprolium .
It is an aid to help deter coccidiosis in chicks but doesnt prevent nor treat coccidiosis.
If you keep waterers and feeders feces free, clean bedding, roosts etc...I dont see a need to give the healthy chicks Corid. Only use it if needed.
Ok, good to know! Maybe I’ll pick up some medicated feed.

As far as treating the other chicks, I usually agree about not treating animals without symptoms.

That said- this chick looked totally fine last night. I went to give them fresh feed and water this morning (we hang the food and water so they don't get poo and ick in them) and she was standing alone, fluffed up, and super lethargic. Then I noticed poop that was essentially pure blood. I separated her immediately and put her in a "hospital" crate with heat, water, and food. That was at about 8:30 am. I had to go into work but left early, went straight to TS for Corid, got home at 1:30 and she was gone.

With her going from fine (or at least fine enough that I didn't notice anything was wrong) to dead in under 24 hours, it makes me worry about the other girls. I cleaned up best I could in that moment, but they had already tracked through the bloody stool. And they had all been pecking around in the same area as the sick girl in the days before. My best guess was to go ahead and give some Corid water to play it safe, especially since it all happened so quickly. Maybe if any of the other girls contracted it, I can nip it before they start showing serious symptoms?

Back
Top Bottom