After some advicce from newbie Runner Duck keeper

Congratulations!  I have Runners.  Here are my thoughts.

Add sprouted wheat berries (whole seeds) to the list of treats.  Yum.

Safety concern with the tub - there needs to be a way for them to climb out of the tub.  If they get in, and the sides are too steep and slick, they could drown after exhausting themselves trying to get out.
Many thanks for the advice about the sink - its kept full to the brim but Ive also put some bricks in it so that theres a step actually in the water so that they can just step out...

How old are they? I know runners are known to be a bit more stand offish than other breeds but it takes all ducks a while to settle in and even more time to become friendly to their new owner. I use frozen peas with my guys and they go nuts. I have been warming them is since it has been cold here but defrosted peas are great to have on hand. There is a list of duck treats thread on here if you search for it. I'm on my phone and its a pain to try to link things. Eggs could be due to a new environment or the time of year or both. For food you don't need to be mixing the grit. They will either get it from the ground or you can provide a dish of it for them on the side. If you have all females that are laying age you may also need to add some oyster shell. Corn is more of a treat and should be used sparingly. A lot of people use it when it gets cold before bed because it helps them keep warm.
frozen peas is a GREAT idea - we'll be giving that a whirl this weekend. Many thanks!

Oh the eggs may not be until spring. About the treats though : 

Watermelon (though you may not find any this time of year)
Broccoli
Tomatoes
Scrambled eggs
Worms
Cucumber
Apples
Cherries
Bannana (with no peel)
Pears
Brussel sprouts
Carrots
Grapes
Strawberries
Cooked oatmeal
Raisins 
Squash
Pumpkin

Hope this helped! But remember do not give to much but if I were you I would mix some broccoli (small pecies not a giant peice) into their food)
This is SO helpful thank you! We'll try all this by degrees. My kids think the broccoli idea is amazing since they now have an excuse for not eating their own!

Haha! I think the broccoli adds nutrition that they can not get from the food.
Good luck kids! It may work! Lol!
Good luck wishing you luck from now on with your ducks!

Back
Top Bottom