after tragedy -- new babies!!

farmergal

Songster
11 Years
Jul 21, 2008
Nor Cal
13464_babychicks1.jpg

So, I got some new fuzzy butts. It all happened really fast -- I called Belt Hatchery the day that I lost most of my flock (tears), and they happened to have exactly what I was looking for exactly that day. Since they ship on Wednesdays, they asked me if they could ship them out that afternoon; I gulped and said Yes. I think it was good, because the little ones have definitely distracted me from my lost girls... although I still tear up when I look at old pictures of them and think about what they went through with the fox attack. (Especially my sweetest-girl-ever, Buffy the Buff Orp... we only found her wing.)

We bought all the materials to fortify the coop, and my SO has promised to finish it this afternoon... so the chicks WILL be safe in it. It will have a floor, and hardware cloth everywhere instead of chicken wire, and we're looking into electric fence too.

Good news: The two survivors of the fox attack are doing really well! I think I'm going to steal the name L.C. (lucky chicken) from another of the members here for the one who survived 2 nights by herself... if that's okay with you
big_smile.png

Hope, the EE who had been bitten by the fox, has been on antibiotics for the past few days and is doing A-OK. She hates being in the "hospital room" (a small cardboard box with food and medicated water) so I've been letting her out to be with the rest of the flock for most of the time, and leaving her in for a few hours by herself to drink the antibiotic water. How long should she stay on this?? She's been on it since last Wednesday.

Anyway, here are some pics of my new babies. I had one that came still "pasty" -- like her yolk sac had broken on her or something. She's been getting a little better each day, but should I give her a bath?
13464_babychickpasty.jpg

Here are other pics:
13464_babychicks2.jpg

13464_babychicks3.jpg

To hear the full story of the funeral :*( you can read at http://farming101.wordpress.com ... I don't want to make too long a post here.

Also, one of the new babies somehow broke her leg... she's in a tissue box with food and water and a gauze-and-toothpick-splint... is there anything else I should do for her? She's really small, but she's eating pretty regularly, and I really hope she makes it because I've had enough tragedy for one week!!

I am soo sorry for your loss!
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif

I know EXACTLY how you feel...I had a hen named Apricot who was a Red Star. She used to live in a little shed that we made into a coop with her sister, Peach, and her mate, Seth, who was an amazing New Jersey Giant rooster. Then, one spring early morning, before it was even light out, her sister and her were killed by a weasel attack..
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
Seth got away, luckily. But a day later, it struck again and killed that wonderful, black and green shiny rooster, who was so kind and gentle to the hens.
hit.gif
It was a shock, a total shock when my dad called and told us of the horrible tragedy...I cried for my little hen, Apricot, and her cute little sister, Peach.
hit.gif
I hate that weasel and I wish my dad would have caught and killed it, even though it was just trying to survive, but it just disappeared...It was soo strange!
hu.gif
He just left. But anyways, I will never forget how much fun I had with Apricot. We raised those three missed chickens since they were a day old. And now they are gone.
sad.png
But, like you, I do not miss them as much as I did, now that we have new chicks and I have a new, loving Red Star hen, named Cinnamon.
love.gif
Raised her from a day old, too. Now she is all grown up and living in a safer coop that my dad built, with chicken wire all around it and a concrete floor. And pretty soon I hope I will have a new little fuzzy to love, once my first egg hatches.
smile.png

I hope you and your chicks are doing great and I hope you feel better.
hugs.gif

God bless you!
jumpy.gif

And your babies are SOO cute!
big_smile.png
They are just soo adorable!
love.gif
Happy days to come for them and you!
wee.gif

Good lookin' babies, but I'd use something denser on the bottom of their brood box...shavings, grass clippings....it is easier on them and they won't get poop stuck to their feet!

Yup I put some pine shavings in... the paper towels were just for days 1 & 2 to make sure they knew not to eat the pine shavings... don't know if that's needed or not but I did it just to make sure.

Any suggestions on what to do about my little one with the broken leg? I'll post a pic of her later, I just went in and she was sleeping so I didn't want to disturb her... she's been alive 48 hours after she broke her leg, and she's still eating and drinking... she just can't really get around too well. I hope the splint I put on this morning helps. I need to figure out a better system than bottlecaps for her food and water though... I have to refill the water all the time, and everything is so small (the kleenex box, the bottlecap) that I have to use a teaspoon to pour water in so I don't spill! I feel so silly, like I'm playing with dollhouses again... anybody ever have a five-day-old chick with a broken leg?

They are so cute, especially the black/white one. Maybe you could try a popsicle stick and some tape for the broken leg chick? Just an idea no idea if it would work

Do you have a Cat or small Dog Crate? or a plactic file box if all else fails.

When I ended up incubating and raising eggs/chicks from an abandoned nest, that was what I used (there were only three).

I covered the front door with window screen and zip-tied it in place; I washed out some glass ashtrays for the food and water until I could get to the feed store, spread a couple kitchen hand towels in the bottom for non-skid footing and easy cleaning; rigged a clamp-on light with a 40 watt bulb, to shine in the front door. Easy access for you, safe containment for the baby, and it can sit without constant attention.

Try wooden matchsticks for your splint instead of toothpicks... a little stronger, and less likely to poke little one. Remember to break off the strike-head.

You might also get intouch with SpeckledHen, or Ruth, they both have had injured birds that they have nursed back. MissPrissy may be able to advise you as well.

Good Luck!!

Kathy

I'm so happy for you, you did the right thing, otherwise it could just seem like it wasn't meant to be. And these ones will, if possible, be even more precious because of what happened - that's what I have found.
I have just finished making my coop and rune completely predator proof too. Instead of sinking wire I hammered in 2 ft rebar every four inches along the base boards, so anything that tries to dig their way in will, hopefully, be frustrated by an underground, protective cage.
I ended up doing this because the coop and run are built on a hillside, and its steep, and the whole thing is built around a tree and the roots and rocks make it impossible. I wish I knew how to post pictures, it looks completely mad, but I think it is now safe, I certainly hope so - I can never come home to that again.
Enjoy those little bundles - more than before, right? Good for you.
Have fun.
Annie

Back
Top Bottom