Against the odds hatching thread (with pictures and questions)

Pics
Oh the white flying one is definitely a boy. Huge red comb and wattles, and wants to fight with everybody.

Here's our favorite... I don't know if it's worth keeping any hope alive at this point :hit
1590206639305.png

5C531D34-055A-49E2-9F1D-CAE28BAAF8CE.jpeg

:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit
We'll HAVE to try the no crow collar then. And hope he's a nice rooster. Or maybe not... Maybe I should hope he's a jerk so I won't feel bad eating him.
I've heard that the roos that are super cuddled and spoiled as babies turn out to be the nastiest little dudes. Not sure if that's true, but try to be as hands off as possible. I think they believe that they're the boss- kinda like Little Dog syndrome. Lol

I've heard that the roos that are super cuddled and spoiled as babies turn out to be the nastiest little dudes. Not sure if that's true, but try to be as hands off as possible. I think they believe that they're the boss- kinda like Little Dog syndrome. Lol
These are pet chickens though, and my kids love them (especially this guy - he's been immortalized in a drawing framed and hung inside the coop!) Better to enjoy him now while he's small and cuddly, and say goodbye later, than keep our distance now and then end up with a mean rooster anyway, because grown roosters are usually just not cuddly creatures. So this way we get to enjoy some cuddles, however long this stage lasts.

These are pet chickens though, and my kids love them (especially this guy - he's been immortalized in a drawing framed and hung inside the coop!) Better to enjoy him now while he's small and cuddly, and say goodbye later, than keep our distance now and then end up with a mean rooster anyway, because grown roosters are usually just not cuddly creatures. So this way we get to enjoy some cuddles, however long this stage lasts.
Very true. What can I say, I don't blame you!

It's a really easy slope. I'll give it more slats for better traction.
Was right n the edge of suggesting doubling the cleats, probably not needed but won't hurt. They don't like sliding down.

I didn't raise it today because it was so hot, and expected to stay in the high 60s overnight. More 40s nights coming, though, so I might raise it tomorrow...
You could raise it way up, so they all fit under, and turn it off or really low heat.
The comfort of the familiar is more important than heat.
The brooder is now basically a huddle box.

Huddle Box
Make them a 'huddle box', put it in the brooder after turning off the heat(you might have to 'persuade' them to use it) then move it out to the coop with them.

Cardboard box with a bottom a little bigger than what they need to cuddle next to each other without piling and tall enough for them to stand in.

Cut an opening on one side a couple inches from bottom and big enough for 2-3 of them to go thru at once.

Fill the bottom with some pine shavings an inch or so deep.

This will give them a cozy place to sleep/rest, block any drafts and help hold their body heat in.

Was right n the edge of suggesting doubling the cleats, probably not needed but won't hurt. They don't like sliding down.

You could raise it way up, so they all fit under, and turn it off or really low heat.
The comfort of the familiar is more important than heat.
The brooder is now basically a huddle box.

Huddle Box
Make them a 'huddle box', put it in the brooder after turning off the heat(you might have to 'persuade' them to use it) then move it out to the coop with them.

Cardboard box with a bottom a little bigger than what they need to cuddle next to each other without piling and tall enough for them to stand in.

Cut an opening on one side a couple inches from bottom and big enough for 2-3 of them to go thru at once.

Fill the bottom with some pine shavings an inch or so deep.

This will give them a cozy place to sleep/rest, block any drafts and help hold their body heat in.
They’ve outgrown the height of the carriage bolts, but I’ll put something under the legs to raise them. It will be in the 40s again tonight. If I do this again, I may need to look for 1-foot bolts!

They’ve outgrown the height of the carriage bolts, but I’ll put something under the legs to raise them. It will be in the 40s again tonight. If I do this again, I may need to look for 1-foot bolts!
Could just take the MHP out, maybe put a solid 'roof' on the brooder.

Back
Top Bottom