Against the odds hatching thread (with pictures and questions)

I did some troubleshooting, and I think I answered my own question. So, the turner tilting the eggs was also tilting the probes sitting on top of them. Some were still positioned on top despite the tilt (because they straddled several eggs), but some had started falling through between the eggs. The lowest-reading probe had slipped down between two eggs and was sitting at the level of their centers, not their tops. And the middle probe had slid horizontally out towards the edge of the tray. So that's why their readings were off. Before I set the eggs, I noticed that there was a considerable difference between measuring at the level of the turner cups, and at the "top of the egg" (the fake egg), but damn, that's a 4 degree difference! No wonder people say it's important to measure at the top of the egg and not just anywhere.

I'm very relieved that the discrepancies have a specific reason, and that the reason is not a problem with the incubator. Now I'm not sure if it's worth opening the incubator to adjust the probes... One of them is still where I left it, so I guess if that one starts reading too high or too low and I no longer have any well-placed probes to judge temperature by, I'll open it quickly and adjust them all.

As for the vertical temperature difference, if the probe measures at the top of the egg, does it matter that the bottom is cooler? Should I care?

I adjusted the probes over 4 hours ago. Looks like that wasn't the problem :hit The middle probe's reading improved somewhat, but the one out at the far edge (last row of eggs) is still showing 97... And the probes are all sitting perfectly on top of the eggs right now! The edge probe cycles between 97-99 degrees. The others hang between 99 and 100. Is that good enough? Will the last row of eggs just hatch late, not hatch at all, or have a reduced hatch rate?

Not sure that fan is really working to circulate the air and heat properly.
I've never built an incubator, but have read enough about them to know that the fan location is pretty crucial and can be tricky.

I would agree with aart's assessment. The fan may help your hatch rate by minimizing the air pockets, but it isn't eliminating them. I would go with what you got, so to speak, and see how it works out. I've heard actual range should be 97-102. GL! I'm giving it a go for the first time soon. I'm waiting on the fan for my cooler bator. Fan positioning and speed is indeed important. You want a low rpm cfm fan.

I would agree with aart's assessment. The fan may help your hatch rate by minimizing the air pockets, but it isn't eliminating them. I would go with what you got, so to speak, and see how it works out. I've heard actual range should be 97-102. GL! I'm giving it a go for the first time soon. I'm waiting on the fan for my cooler bator. Fan positioning and speed is indeed important. You want a low rpm cfm fan.
The fan actually has three settings, I currently have it on the lowest setting. Should I turn it up?

Back
Top Bottom