Against the odds hatching thread (with pictures and questions)

Pics
Day 3. Since repositioning the fan yesterday, all the thermometers have been reading about the same temperature, which is a relief. However, the number kept drifting too low (98), despite me adjusting it back up from the controls. Seems like the number I set from the incubator’s controls doesn’t stick, because the “set to” number changes, too, not just the “current temp”. That’s frustrating. I wrapped the incubator in blankets last night. Checked on it a couple hours later, all 3 were reading 100, checked again twice so far today, and they haven’t gotten lower than high 99’s. If anything hatches, I will have the coronavirus to thank for it! Otherwise these guys would’ve been spending 10 hours of their day all alone languishing at 96 degrees...
5D877567-0933-4B84-98DC-F634D921E2EB.jpeg

What's the temp in the room where the incubator is?
The blanket might be what evened things out.
It's 70. The temp was even between the three thermometers even before the blanket, but it was too low. It evened out after I moved the fan to a more central position along the front wall. That evened out the three numbers, but they were all reading 98. I kept pushing the number up with the incubator controls, but then it would drift back down again. Seems like maybe it's losing heat or something, hence the blankets. I'll keep checking it throughout the day... hopefully that did it.... but at this point I just don't trust that incubator. It really needs constant monitoring 😟

Sadly, that digital model with the safety heater is famous for not keeping temp. But if anyone can do it, it's you! The blankets are a huge help (I have the same one)
I've kept decent temp with it stuffed in a closet by the heater and wrapped in blankets

I find this fascinating , your attention to detail is awesome . I think you will be very successful with the hatch .
Also your thread got me thinking and talking to my daughter who I am building a coop for . We are going to hatch her chicks , EE's and Buff Orp's . Eggs are on order (end of month) now we just have to decide on an incubator and start studying .

Long live the blankets! Today was a thoroughly successful day. I checked on the incubator about half a million times and the temperature was always good - ranging between 99.5 and 100.5 - and read the same between all three thermometers. I really hope I've found my groove and it will be like this until the end 🤞🤞

I find this fascinating , your attention to detail is awesome . I think you will be very successful with the hatch .
Also your thread got me thinking and talking to my daughter who I am building a coop for . We are going to hatch her chicks , EE's and Buff Orp's . Eggs are on order (end of month) now we just have to decide on an incubator and start studying .
Ooh fun! Are you building her the same kind of coop like yours? You should start a hatching thread, too. Good luck with the incubator hunt. I wouldn't recommend the one I have... Too inconsistent, too much work. But it was free, so... Compromises.

In other news, I just ordered 75 lbs of chick starter, 50 lbs of grower feed and 50 lbs of layer feed, plus grit, scratch grains, and three bags of pine shavings. No oyster shell because I'll feed them egg shells when the time comes. I don't know if any of that is enough, because I don't know how many mouths I'll be feeding, but... in case there are any feed shortages at any point... that should last us a while. I was very pleasantly surprised to find that TSC delivers, so I didn't even have to leave my house. Wohoo! :wee

Back
Top Bottom