Age, Breed, possible Gender?

animalsroc4evr

Songster
9 Years
Feb 19, 2010
East Tennessee
Hello all,

A week ago my neighbor down the road let me choose some chicks out of the 20 or so that he hatched from his flock. Well I picked out 4 and I'm wondering how old and what possible breeds they are. They might be mutt chickens, but breed really doesn't matter to me, I'm just wondering if any of you can recognize any breeds in the little gals (hopefully they are girls). Also, would it be too soon to guess if they are girls or boys? I'm pretty sure they are all girls, they have the same feather development as my girls from last year. The only one I'm somewhat iffy on is the white chick... However if they end up being roosters my neighbor said he wouldn't mind swapping for hens. He's such a nice guy
smile.png
If I end up with just one rooster it's not a big deal, one rooster among 7 hens isn't bad
smile.png

the chicks in the first 2 sets of pictures are about the same size and the biggest, the last 2 are the smaller of the 4. They are more than likely different ages as the neighbors set their eggs at various times, so they hatch at all different times... everyone has a good tail growing, except the white one who is just getting a tail
smile.png
Any thoughts about age, breed, or maybe even possible gender? thanks!

anyways here are the pictures:

IMG_4925.jpg

IMG_4929.jpg

IMG_4936.jpg

IMG_4938.jpg

IMG_4942.jpg

IMG_4948.jpg

IMG_4939.jpg

IMG_4940.jpg

They look like they're about 2 weeks old to me. I'm no expert though. You have a couple with large combs (the first one, the white one, and the first black one), but I'm not sure if they're roos or not. The last one looks like a Barred Rock.

I agree - I was going to say 2 1/2 weeks of age. The white one has huge legs, which sometimes means a roo, but then again, since you don't know the breeds, it could just be the breed (my delaware hen has very thick legs) I can't guess on the types, other than the bottom one looks like a BPR or DOM.

I thought they where about 2-2 1/2 weeks old, thanks for conforming that
smile.png
If the white one is the only roo I'll be SO happy... I love them all so much, but if I only have 1 hen and 3 roos there is no way I can keep all those roos with only 5 hens around
sad.png
That leads to a question I've been pondering a lot, How many Hens per roo?

Thanks for your help guys, I really appreciate it
bow.gif

Back
Top Bottom