Age for First Outdoor Outings

Namentuppen

Songster
Mar 8, 2021
Our temperatures have been high 70's-low 80's. At what age is it safe to bring my new chicks outside (supervised in a little gated area) for 10 minutes or so to get used to the outdoors?

I'd probably wait until you've had them at least 3 or 4 days, and make sure they are all doing well at eating, drinking, sleeping, and running around.

Just remember that they are still little babies, and watch out for them getting too cold (or too hot, as the weather gets warmer!)
Thank you! All four seem to be doing well so far and made it their first night. Maybe I’ll try this weekend.

Thank you @NatJ and @JoyThatSticks - I was just going to ask this very same question :)

Glad your new chicks did well on their first outdoor field trip! Planning to try our 4 new chicks outdoors for a few minutes later today when temps should be low 70s and sunny. Will put them into their covered outdoor run for a bit and see how it goes!

Lost one of our babies on her 3rd day here last week, so this week I feel like I'm second guessing all my chick plans. I am a first time chicken mom, and now that I've passed from book/online learning into the real thing, it is so much fun! But also real consequences to my parenting choices, so I'm trying to be so aware of their environment, health, etc.

Have a great day and thank you for answering my field trip question before I even asked it. Mind readers! :)

Back
Top Bottom