age of going to roost

it was a little easier tonight. I went out after dark put them on roost and they stayed. I sit by coop awhile everybody stayed on roost tonight.

yes im happy about it. I will be really happy when they go to roost on their own

You can move chicks into a coup any time. The only requirement is heat if the air temperature is too cold, and they can survive fine with no heat after around four weeks of age after they've fully feathered out.

they were 4 weeks old when I moved them into the new coop they are 5 weeks old now.

almost 6 weeks old now, they been roosting by themselves about 3 nights now. im really happy now.

almost 6 weeks old now, they been roosting by themselves about 3 nights now. im really happy now.
TADA! Just went out to check on the girls (and Charlie) and guess what!! They are roosting!! Well, 'cept not on the nice, carefully placed roost we provided for them - even though we followed all advice on placement, size, height - all of it. They have chosen to roost on the 2x4 cross pieces in the coop framing. Yep, scattered all over the place on short little framing pieces against the sides of the coop like bad chicken wallpaper. There were a couple on the frame above the east window, a few more on the frame above the south window, some on the cross pieces above where the nest boxes will go - all tucked into their chosen bits of framing just as content as can be. How in the world do you put a poop board under every framing cross piece in the entire coop?

I repeat....my chickens did NOT read the chapter on roosting in the Chickens for Dummies book.

Back
Top Bottom