age of going to roost

I like that analogy - "bad chicken wallpaper" !

I've had that problem, too, but it should correct itself as they get too big to fit comfortably inside the framing studs. If you were anal like some of us, you could stick duct tape across the lower portions of the studs above the laterals. It will discourage them quickly without any fuss.

I like that analogy - "bad chicken wallpaper" !

I've had that problem, too, but it should correct itself as they get too big to fit comfortably inside the framing studs. If you were anal like some of us, you could stick duct tape across the lower portions of the studs above the laterals. It will discourage them quickly without any fuss.
Nah, they seem happy, so I'm leaving it alone for now....I figured that when their butts got too big they'd move to the regular roost. To me the important thing is that the puddle of chickens on the floor is slowly being cut back. But it did give me a fright when I went out there last night, shined the flashlight on the floor expecting to see chickens, and then got that creepy feeling that I really needed to look up, not down! When I just caught a glimpse of shadowy forms on the walls the first thing I thought was, "Oh, great! I don't remember reading anything about bats in the chicken coop!"
th.gif

Last edited:
Big night at Oleo Acres - went out to check on chicks and most of the 22 are up on the roosting bar. Yayyy! And they did it all by themselves! After the first episode of playing "Jack in the Box" with them, I decided that they just didn't want to yet so I left them alone. Then I found them roosting all over the framing studs in the coop, and decided that in the overall scheme of life that wasn't such a big deal either. Now that it's warm enough to leave the pop door open, they've been going into the coop right after sunset and I check them later. First night there were 3 on the roost, then 6 and tonight most of them are up there.

I'm so <sniff, sniff> proud......

We put our teenagers into the coop at about six weeks. We first put them inside with a heat lamp at night. For a couple of weeks they would not come outside. When they finally did come outside they must have decided it was pretty nice, because now they won't go inside. They are sleeping in a corner on the ground. Our first set of hens (who were murdered by raccoons) went up at night on their own from the beginning. They were older though- we got them as pullets. My husband isn't worried, he says they will figure it out but it I have been pondering putting them in a night and locking them in, and then letting them out in the morning. We have made the outdoor part raccoon proof, (the little monsters actually lifted the lid- we have a hook lock now). I am just afraid that when the start laying it will be in the middle of their yard. Should I force them in at night?

We put our chooks out into the coop at 6 weeks. At the time, they would occasionally hop onto the roost, but slept in a pile on the floor. Their first night in the run they wandered around peeping until we picked up each one and put them into the coop by hand. My fiancee was worried we'd have to do that every night, but the next evening they all filed into the coop like pros. Still slept on the floor though. I figured they'd use the roost when they were ready.

This past week they've started using the roost. Good girls! Though I did have one decide that a small bracing block in the corner was even better. I can relate to the "chicken wallpaper" concept. She looks really strange "hovering" in the dark!
gig.gif

Back up a few posts and you'll see the description of these chicks roosting in between the studs on the 2x4 laterals on the coop walls = chicken wallpaper.

Back
Top Bottom