Aggressive and nicest breeds of chicken?

reveriereptile

Songster
11 Years
Mar 17, 2008
Northern NY
I was wanting to know what everyone thought was the worse type of breeds you've delt with as far as them being aggressive and what breeds were the nicest and easy to handle?

Hmm.. I don't have any nasty ones yet. The PW Leghorns are definately more skiddish.. But they don't make much of a fuss when I grab them. Pretty much all of my birds will let you handle them. They may not walk right up to you and let them pick them up but once you've got a grip on them they just sit there. Keep in mind none of my roos have reached maturity yet.

Now, when I'm in the coop just kind of hanging out, the Barred Rocks, Marans and Sussexs come up and peck at my feet and pants the most. So I'd say those three are the "friendliest" of the lot.

Remember to use their currency to tame them. In other words, treats/food.

I've read that the d'uccles are super friendly ....
and my 7 mos old girl DOES run all over after us .....
always wants to be near us, and will jump on my leg, if I'm just sitting in the backyard in a chair.

And I've read that Silkies are the nicest as surrogate moms.
My silkie, now 3 mos, LOVES to be cuddled and petted at night time....
maybe because I got him when he was 3 wks old, and I had no other chickens at the time, so I would cuddle him and love him to sleep.

This silkie roo will even let my new 2 wk old chickies come and nestle under his belly, neck, tail, and wings at the night cuddle time.....cute, cute, cute.

Lee

The only roos I have owned were white leghorns, and they started to attack my kids..so no more leghorns, right now I have a young EE roo, and we are working with him to keep him tame, and as far as hens go, I believe the leghorn hen is the meanest, she is always chasing the other chicks from the food or even if they get too close to her. The nicest hen I have is a red sexlink, she will walk right up to you and want to be held.

My buff Orpingtons have been my calmest and sweetest and most talkitive and eats the most
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom