aggressive button quail

Godsgrl

Ostrich wrangler
12 Years
Aug 27, 2007
at the zoo usually
I have two pairs of button quail. The first set is mellow, and calm, and generally don't cause problems. The second set is a silver male, with a brown hen. Sorry, don't know the proper name for her. Anyway, our silver male, Silver, (how original!) is very aggressive! If I put my hand in to retrieve eggs, he attacks me! I know, I know, a button can't do any damage, but he bites me!

He eats laying mash, parakeet seed, and quail salad now and then. Don't worry-it's only boiled quail egg and some greens. Why is he so high strung, and what can I do about it? He is housed in a ten gallon right now, plans for a bigger enclosure in the works soon.

Thank you for any suggestions. Are silvers more aggressive as a rule?

I haven't had any buttons that were aggressive, mine usually walk all over my hands when I reach in their cages! Maybe he is protecting the eggs?

my silver was very afraid of me. However i have read of roos being aggressive of their hens and nest. I read about it alot on buttonquailsusa on yahoo groups.
smile.png

That would be the wild in him to guard the nest. It really has nothing to do with color. I have a couple like that little snots pinch hard I even have one that tryed to flog me when I was taking his babies away poor dad did not want me to hurt them LOL

A friend of mine has 2 pair from the same batch of eggs that my adults are from. She thinks one of her females is broody!! She said the button had 4 eggs all piled up and was picking up different things and putting them around her. That is so cute, I can't wait to see her!!

thank you for the replies. He is DEFINITELY guarding the eggs. I guess I'll just have to put up with it. My other roo is so calm and wouldn't think of doing this to me. Funny how their personalities are so different.

My other hen is sitting on about 7 eggs that are due to hatch in about 6 days. I'm really excited. I'm glad ms. broody is not in with Silver, I'd never be able to put my hand in there for anything! LOL

Thanks for the replies, at least I'm not the only one with an aggressive quail.

I tend to remove the aggressive ones from my breeding flock. All the ones I've had were also more aggressive to other quail and their chicks got into more fights earlier than the ones from calmer parents. I get one or 2 every hatch that are just more aggressive than the rest. After having several serious button injuries from them including males attacking females they now quickly find homes or find themselves butchered to be a part of my cats' raw diets. If people don't breed for personality we never have pets that are friendlier, calmer, and easier to handle.

Back
Top Bottom