tatu42198

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 1, 2014
Hello I have 3 ducks, 1 male (runner) 2 female (runner, pekin) that are approx 2 yr old. We raised them and they have been in our pond for the last yr. We have now raised an additional 6 pekin who are 6-8 months or so. We have been trying to integrate in the same large outdoor area and pond. The drake is chasing them and ap po ears to try to attack them any chance he gets. He gets on top of whichever he can catch and tries to drown them (does not appear to be mating, very aggressive and biting the back of their necks). It has been a week to 10 day process of integrating alittle at a time. He does not seem to want to ease up. We have separated them. The older females seem ok with the younger ones. But when together with the male they are with him when he attacks. Any suggestions? He has otherwise been friendly. It has been very stressful. Tonight 1 younger duck is missing. I did not find him in the pond and hope he ran into the woods after being chased and will reappear in the morning. Suggestions? He is very smart and will wait for any chance my husband or I turn around to attack.

Remove him from the main group. Let the new ducks, and your existing girls become a new group before trying to reintroduce him.

Some folks have success using drake jail.
I have had this happen before, and it's a bit of a crap shoot with whether or not it will work. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.

Personally, I choose to cull extremely aggressive drakes. They are worth less to me than my hens, and I want my girls happy, and unabused.

Remove him from the main group. Let the new ducks, and your existing girls become a new group before trying to reintroduce him.

Some folks have success using drake jail.
I have had this happen before, and it's a bit of a crap shoot with whether or not it will work. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.

Personally, I choose to cull extremely aggressive drakes. They are worth less to me than my hens, and I want my girls happy, and unabused.
Thank you, he is in "drake jail" now. Not happy. The girls have not integrated but get close. Thank you.

I ran into that problem last year and that was with only 1 drake and 6 girls. All the girl's necks were bloody so I had to do something. My poor little drake went to jail and he was so miserable pacing up and down the fence line all day.

So, he has a "special" girl that has always been his buddy and although I was reluctant I thought I'd try putting her in with him and see what happens. It was perfect. He was happy, she was happy and the other 5 were happy not getting raped every 5 minutes. Maybe that is something you could try.

I ran into that problem last year and that was with only 1 drake and 6 girls. All the girl's necks were bloody so I had to do something. My poor little drake went to jail and he was so miserable pacing up and down the fence line all day.

So, he has a "special" girl that has always been his buddy and although I was reluctant I thought I'd try putting her in with him and see what happens. It was perfect. He was happy, she was happy and the other 5 were happy not getting raped every 5 minutes. Maybe that is something you could try.
What do you do at night?

Back
Top Bottom