Aggressive duck

sparky33372

In the Brooder
Feb 11, 2019
Hi, I’m new to ducks. Last week I rescued 2 abandoned ducks, and put them in with my chickens (separated at first). All was well until 2 days ago when one of the ducks started charging my chickens. I pinpointed it to one chicken in particular, so I took her out of mix for a day, and everyone settled back in. Now today that duck is charging a different chicken. So I separated the ducks again this morning, but the one gets agitated every time she/he sees those 2 chickens. Any ideas why it’s doing this? I have multiple food and water sources and plenty of space in the run. Included a pic, if anyone can identify the breed or sex. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 65A067AB-261E-4E20-9AA9-75E697608732.jpeg
    65A067AB-261E-4E20-9AA9-75E697608732.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 18
If they're drakes, they cannot be with your chickens. Drakes have a penis unlike a rooster and can kill chickens trying to mate with them.

I keep my ducks and chickens separate. I believe some species should no coexist due to their mating and aggressive habits towards other species.

Instead of removing the chickens, I would remove the ducks. The chicken's having established pecking order and when you take them out because they're being picked on, you are ruining their pecking order.

@chickensreally, thanks. They definitely look like golden 300’s. Neither has the curly tail feather so a friend was positive they are girls (not acting like it!).

@FortCluck the ducks are corralled away from the chickens. What actually happened yesterday was the picked-on chicken flew out of the run when I opened the gate so I left her out.

@chickensreally, thanks. They definitely look like golden 300’s. Neither has the curly tail feather so a friend was positive they are girls (not acting like it!).

@FortCluck the ducks are corralled away from the chickens. What actually happened yesterday was the picked-on chicken flew out of the run when I opened the gate so I left her out.
Keep them separated like you have been. Chicken won't want to go in there again I'm sure

I actually have a Polish chicken that can fly over an 8-ft fence, she flies over into the duck area all the time. They haven't attacked her, but I don't even think they could catch her because she's insanely fast. She cleans up all the food that they spill, so I don't mind her being in there every once in a while.

They are gorgeous. Hope they are females but even females can be hateful especially is they feel their territory is being taken over by a lowly chicken. lol

Lets see if @Table4Six or @MagpieDucks can say for sure if drakes or females. Do they quack loud that is a dead giveaway they are female. drakes sound a lot like frogs.

I actually have a Polish chicken that can fly over an 8-ft fence, she flies over into the duck area all the time. They haven't attacked her, but I don't even think they could catch her because she's insanely fast. She cleans up all the food that they spill, so I don't mind her being in there every once in a while.
When my chickens free range, they go into the goose run and scratch up all the straw so I don’t have to clean it out as often

you have your own out door vacuum. My chickens are they best yard clean up I have. ;)

Back
Top Bottom