Aggressive duck

sparky33372

In the Brooder
Feb 11, 2019
Hi, I’m new to ducks. Last week I rescued 2 abandoned ducks, and put them in with my chickens (separated at first). All was well until 2 days ago when one of the ducks started charging my chickens. I pinpointed it to one chicken in particular, so I took her out of mix for a day, and everyone settled back in. Now today that duck is charging a different chicken. So I separated the ducks again this morning, but the one gets agitated every time she/he sees those 2 chickens. Any ideas why it’s doing this? I have multiple food and water sources and plenty of space in the run. Included a pic, if anyone can identify the breed or sex. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 65A067AB-261E-4E20-9AA9-75E697608732.jpeg
    65A067AB-261E-4E20-9AA9-75E697608732.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16

FortCluck

Hatch-a-Long Queen
Sep 9, 2019
Central Virginia
If they're drakes, they cannot be with your chickens. Drakes have a penis unlike a rooster and can kill chickens trying to mate with them.

I keep my ducks and chickens separate. I believe some species should no coexist due to their mating and aggressive habits towards other species.

Instead of removing the chickens, I would remove the ducks. The chicken's having established pecking order and when you take them out because they're being picked on, you are ruining their pecking order.

sparky33372

In the Brooder
Feb 11, 2019
@chickensreally, thanks. They definitely look like golden 300’s. Neither has the curly tail feather so a friend was positive they are girls (not acting like it!).

@FortCluck the ducks are corralled away from the chickens. What actually happened yesterday was the picked-on chicken flew out of the run when I opened the gate so I left her out.

FortCluck

Hatch-a-Long Queen
Sep 9, 2019
Central Virginia
@chickensreally, thanks. They definitely look like golden 300’s. Neither has the curly tail feather so a friend was positive they are girls (not acting like it!).

@FortCluck the ducks are corralled away from the chickens. What actually happened yesterday was the picked-on chicken flew out of the run when I opened the gate so I left her out.
Keep them separated like you have been. Chicken won't want to go in there again I'm sure

FortCluck

Hatch-a-Long Queen
Sep 9, 2019
Central Virginia
I actually have a Polish chicken that can fly over an 8-ft fence, she flies over into the duck area all the time. They haven't attacked her, but I don't even think they could catch her because she's insanely fast. She cleans up all the food that they spill, so I don't mind her being in there every once in a while.

Miss Lydia

~Gift of God ~ Eternal Life ~John 3:16
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Oct 3, 2009
Mountains of Western N.C.
They are gorgeous. Hope they are females but even females can be hateful especially is they feel their territory is being taken over by a lowly chicken. lol

Lets see if @Table4Six or @MagpieDucks can say for sure if drakes or females. Do they quack loud that is a dead giveaway they are female. drakes sound a lot like frogs.

sparky33372

In the Brooder
Feb 11, 2019
I actually have a Polish chicken that can fly over an 8-ft fence, she flies over into the duck area all the time. They haven't attacked her, but I don't even think they could catch her because she's insanely fast. She cleans up all the food that they spill, so I don't mind her being in there every once in a while.
When my chickens free range, they go into the goose run and scratch up all the straw so I don’t have to clean it out as often

Miss Lydia

~Gift of God ~ Eternal Life ~John 3:16
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Oct 3, 2009
Mountains of Western N.C.
you have your own out door vacuum. My chickens are they best yard clean up I have. ;)

Top Bottom