Aggressive Hen

Adey65

Chirping
Jul 6, 2021
Having recently lost two birds through illness I decided to add another three hens to the three I had left. I don't have the means to keep them separated for any length of time, although I did keep them apart by using a plastic fence when I bought them home so that they could see each other. It's been 10 days now and two of the three older hens have taken very little notice of the new ones, further than the odd chasing off. However, the third older hen is being a little swine with her pursuit of the younger ones.

Before I bought the new birds home I did some work on the coop by adding some more roosting bars at the opposite end to the ones already in place. The first couple of nights were fine, with no issues in the coop because the older birds either couldn't access the new ones as the roosts were too high, or more likely that they couldn't be bothered to make the effort.

After a few nights, I installed a step-up bar by the original roosting bars so that the new hens could easily access the bars at the opposite end. Although the new hens now have improved access to their roosting bars, it has unfortunately created a simpler path for the troublesome hen. This particular hen has taken it upon herself to reach the highest point and relentlessly attack the three new birds. She goes as far as to physically boot them off the roosting bars. The other two older hens, on the other hand, make no attempt to get to the young ones.

Should I remove the step-up bar, which in turn will deny Miss Feisty access, or should I just let them get on with it? The new ones can get to the roosts without the need for the step-up bar. What I don't want to do is ostracize the new hens from the original ladies, but I also don't wish to see any of the younger ones get injured. I should add, that the hen causing the issue is generally a lovely, gentle bird. She is however the bottom of the pecking order of the three, so I suppose picking on the new ones compensates for that somewhat. Although I should also add, that she doesn't get bullied herself by the other two, just occasionally is put in her place.

I have introduced new birds once previously, and from memory, it took around three weeks for it all to settle down to an acceptable level. The difference was, that the gap was only a couple of months before I introduced new ones, whereas now it's a two-year difference. The coop I had then was also a lot smaller, which in a way I supposed helped as it was likely that dark in there they couldn't see each other very well, if at all.

I'm not really stressing about it, because I know it will eventually settle down, I would just like some advice on the best way and quickest route to harmony amongst them.

Back
Top Bottom