Aggressive rooster for sale

Just take him from wherever he sleeps.
The broomstick method is a way to humanly kill a chicken. It involves putting a laying the rooster on the ground, and placing a bar across its neck. You then step down on the bar with both feet, and pull up on the legs at the same time, which breaks its neck.
Done right it is very fast, and one of the kindest ways to cull.
However, I can't see anything wrong with what you are trying to do, and re-home with full discloser.
If you get some who wants him, just make extra sure that they know just how bad he is, and that they don't have any kids that could be put into danger.
He could make a lovely soup for someone.
If no one wants him, then either you, or a family member, will need to do the deed, as he really needs to be gone.

The problem with rehoming an aggressive rooster is that you could be advertising to cock fighters. It still happens and that would not be a good result for this rooster. Hopefully an ad on this website wouldn’t end with that result but @Santamanhank might have to advertise in a few places to get rid of the bird.

He’s already had a longer life than many many better behaved roosters so I personally wouldn’t have any qualms saying goodbye to this roo. It would be a lot easier on him to have a quick end than get taken to a new home and have the same problems. His hormones will be the same there and that is mostly what is causing him to act like that. If he were butchered I’d bet he would have VERY large testicles, and unfortunately male animals with a lot of hormones are hard to reason with…

For those who haven’t done it before, with the broomstick method it is best to have a shallow divot in the ground for the neck to go into before you put the stick across the neck. You don’t want the chicken to get panicked if it can’t breath. (And it reduces accidental beheadings.) I am not always fast at positioning my feet in the dark so a confused chicken is way better than a panicking one at that point. The divot holds the neck in position and the bar holds the head in position, then you pull the chicken’s legs so the neck and body are dislocated from the head. On a mature rooster it can take a lot of force but the main thing is to pull his body forward over his head past the point that it can bend naturally so that it has to break. Practice on a doll or a towel so you can get the logistics worked out and have an axe handy in case things don’t go perfectly. Do not hesitate once you’ve begun. You can cry later, and I still do sometimes.

Anyway, the best video I’ve found to show the method is this one.
Broomstick method

The problem with rehoming an aggressive rooster is that you could be advertising to cock fighters. It still happens and that would not be a good result for this rooster. Hopefully an ad on this website wouldn’t end with that result but @Santamanhank might have to advertise in a few places to get rid of the bird.

He’s already had a longer life than many many better behaved roosters so I personally wouldn’t have any qualms saying goodbye to this roo. It would be a lot easier on him to have a quick end than get taken to a new home and have the same problems. His hormones will be the same there and that is mostly what is causing him to act like that. If he were butchered I’d bet he would have VERY large testicles, and unfortunately male animals with a lot of hormones are hard to reason with…

For those who haven’t done it before, with the broomstick method it is best to have a shallow divot in the ground for the neck to go into before you put the stick across the neck. You don’t want the chicken to get panicked if it can’t breath. (And it reduces accidental beheadings.) I am not always fast at positioning my feet in the dark so a confused chicken is way better than a panicking one at that point. The divot holds the neck in position and the bar holds the head in position, then you pull the chicken’s legs so the neck and body are dislocated from the head. On a mature rooster it can take a lot of force but the main thing is to pull his body forward over his head past the point that it can bend naturally so that it has to break. Practice on a doll or a towel so you can get the logistics worked out and have an axe handy in case things don’t go perfectly. Do not hesitate once you’ve begun. You can cry later, and I still do sometimes.

Anyway, the best video I’ve found to show the method is this one.
Broomstick method
I took in an aggressive rooster with full disclosure. He stayed in a dog cage in my garage for a few days then was put in the crock pot. He was delicious. The previous was owner was very aware what I was planning on doing with him. I think the OP is going about this the correct way. And I highly doubt someone that cock fights gets their roosters from BYC

I assume the OP is also posting on Craigslist (I may be wrong...). Craigslist is bad about folks wanting roosters for cockfighting. There's very little way to tell what they are really doing with them once they purchase them from you.

I took in an aggressive rooster with full disclosure. He stayed in a dog cage in my garage for a few days then was put in the crock pot. He was delicious. The previous was owner was very aware what I was planning on doing with him. I think the OP is going about this the correct way. And I highly doubt someone that cock fights gets their roosters from BYC
Do you want him?

I assume the OP is also posting on Craigslist (I may be wrong...). Craigslist is bad about folks wanting roosters for cockfighting. There's very little way to tell what they are really doing with them once they purchase them from you.
I honestly forgot about Craigslist
Do you want him?
I live in Ohio. That's a helluva commute for a rooster

I’m all for using roosters for meat if they have no other purpose but I think it needs to be done quickly and in the most humane way. Moving an animal to a new home is stressful and keeping an flock animal in solitary confinement is very stressful. I’m sure you had your reasons for doing it that way but it was more stressful for him than it could have been.

As I said in my post that it’s unlikely a BYC poster would be into cockfighting but I doubt this is the only place OP is using to rehome the rooster.

I’m all for using roosters for meat if they have no other purpose but I think it needs to be done quickly and in the most humane way. Moving an animal to a new home is stressful and keeping an flock animal in solitary confinement is very stressful. I’m sure you had your reasons for doing it that way but it was more stressful for him than it could have been.

As I said in my post that it’s unlikely a BYC poster would be into cockfighting but I doubt this is the only place OP is using to rehome the rooster.
How else was I supposed to get the rooster home and then quarantine him? You do know the definition of quarantining, right? And to make you even more upset, I withheld food from him for the last 24 hours of his life. I wanted his crop and intenstines empty before butcher. And to be quite honest, I don't really care how stressful his end of life was. I butchered him with respect and he was delicious

How else was I supposed to get the rooster home and then quarantine him? You do know the definition of quarantining, right? And to make you even more upset, I withheld food from him for the last 24 hours of his life. I wanted his crop and intenstines empty before butcher. And to be quite honest, I don't really care how stressful his end of life was. I butchered him with respect and he was delicious
Why quarantine him if you weren’t keeping him? You already said that’s why you got him. Your “not caring” about him being stressed is not “respect” unless you are using a definition that is different from everyone else’s.

You’re right, I don’t withhold feed from my meat animals. Their comfort is worth a little bit of extra effort on my part, if I didn’t care about that I might as well buy chicken from the store.

My values are clearly different from yours.

Back
Top Bottom