Aggressive Rooster, Help With Decision?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Lokibinian, Jun 10, 2017.

1. Cull it.

7 vote(s)
    58.3%
  2. Keep it.

5 vote(s)
    41.7%
  1. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Crossing the Road

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    I would cull. A cockrel that is a jerk, is likely to remain a jerk. I would not pass him off to an other flock owner. It's theorized that nasty roos beget nasty roos. Don't know if that's true or not, but assuming that temperament is an inherited trait, I do everything in my power to see to it that a mean roo doesn't get to play in the gene pool. That means, he stays here and gets culled instead of going to an other flock to breed.

KikisGirls likes this.
  2. Dominique Fan

Dominique Fan In the Brooder

Apr 9, 2017
    County of Gilmer
    I have to agree with give him some more time. Our first roo was a bit of a butt at 6-7 months. Told the misus if he didn't chill I'd have to cull him. And then suddenly he did a 360 and became the sweetest best roo till the coyote got him. Honestly were not going to get another one,but one of our hen chick's turned out to be a he chick. So we have Charles the Second now. So far he's calming down the older he gets. Hope it helps. You can always cull him later if he doesn't shape up and make Coco Van.

3. Optiker

Optiker Chirping

Jan 23, 2015
    SE Washington State
    Back in the late 70s when we were raising around 50 cornish-cross per year for the freezer, we also had a large plymouth rock rooster - spurs about 3" long, and weighed around 11 lbs when we finally culled him. The decision was made when he went at my 3-year old daughter with his spurs. That was the last straw! I was unable to catch him and eventually had to take my .22 rifle to him at about 50 ft. I'm not the world's best shot but got lucky with a single shot to the head. The soup wasn't bad, but the meat was inedible, but I did get some nice cape and saddle hackles for tying trout flies.
    Optiker

BYC910 likes this.
  4. Lokibinian

Lokibinian Chirping

May 17, 2017
    That's a very fair point! Thanks to both of you!

5. dundee7

dundee7 In the Brooder

Apr 22, 2017
    Montana
    Keep the Rooster. It is all part of the experience. Right now you are not ready to part with the guy and that is the reason to keep him. Need a special pen or arangment? Fine, do it. I have and never regretted keeping Roosters I decided to keep. That is what I would do. ( flaps wings and crows and draws on the meershaum pipe)

6. Lokibinian

Lokibinian Chirping

May 17, 2017
    Haha, thanks for your answer!

7. corisnest51

corisnest51 In the Brooder

Apr 23, 2014
    Connecticut
    One of my bantam ended up a room, a global laced Wyandotte....even before I knew it was a roo he got the name "Pecky" always after everyone else... even when they were bigger than him... this really annoyed me so I put him in timeout! By himself for a couple days. I had to do it once again after than and he's been great ever since.. of course they were only around 6 weeks r so... but it's worth a try,

8. corisnest51

corisnest51 In the Brooder

Apr 23, 2014
    Connecticut
    Above should have read golden laced Wyandotte and roo not room

9. I'll second this post.

10. redranger209

redranger209 Crowing

Apr 17, 2016
    Oakdale, CA
    I would put it in solitary for a few weeks. I heard this worked on bino the albino roo, but then again he moved too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: