1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Aggressive rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickens563, Jul 26, 2016.

1. chickens563

chickens563 New Egg

Jun 28, 2016
    Massachusetts
    My rooster is about one year old and he is recently acting aggressive. The weird part is, he is only aggressive toward humans. With predators it also seems like he isn't doing his job, we have lost many hens.

I will simply be outside giving them treats or just collecting eggs and he will sneak up behind me and start attacking. His neck feathers raise and he jumps up to attack.

Is this normal rooster behavior? I try not to turn my back but the minute I do he charges after me. He has also showed this behavior toward other people too.

2. 0wen

0wen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2016
    Southwest Virginia
    If he's aggressive towards humans and not even trying to keep the hens close and/or alert for predators I'd get a new rooster...

[​IMG]

3. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    At his age, if he is human aggressive he should meet a crock pot. He won't get better and you shouldn't have to watch your back.

Personally I never rely on roosters as predator deterrents. If I were you I would have him with dumplings. Then lock up your hens until you figure out what is getting them.

4. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Someone here has often said that nasty roosters taste best! The crockpot is good, if not yours, then someone on craigslist maybe. Lock up your survivors until you have the predator situation in hand. Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by