Aggressive Rooster

Maria Z

In the Brooder
Dec 28, 2020
I would like to ask for a favour - advice, please. We have a very young cockerel, only 5 months old, but very mature and active, vocally and mating.
He is friendly with us, but he is not a gentleman to girls. And he is particularly aggressive towards one of the girls. She was injured, I thought it was an accident, and now I'm not sure. After taking care of her for three weeks, I don't want to take any chances. I tried to get her back to the flock, she's fine with all the girls, but I have to have him separated. So it's either him or her with the flock. And I would love to have all the flock together and safe again. So I ordered pinless peepers, and I'm not sure he couldn't eat, so I cut down the size the peepers. He took some food from my hand, but he is still struggling (it's the first day and only a few hours). I am wondering if he will learn to live with those peepers? Does anyone have any experience, or better advice, please?

I would like to ask for a favour - advice, please. We have a very young cockerel, only 5 months old, but very mature and active, vocally and mating.
He is friendly with us, but he is not a gentleman to girls. And he is particularly aggressive towards one of the girls. She was injured, I thought it was an accident, and now I'm not sure. After taking care of her for three weeks, I don't want to take any chances. I tried to get her back to the flock, she's fine with all the girls, but I have to have him separated. So it's either him or her with the flock. And I would love to have all the flock together and safe again. So I ordered pinless peepers, and I'm not sure he couldn't eat, so I cut down the size the peepers. He took some food from my hand, but he is still struggling (it's the first day and only a few hours). I am wondering if he will learn to live with those peepers? Does anyone have any experience, or better advice, please?
20200621_152527.jpg
It takes a week, or two for them to adapt to the Peepers.

Don't keep males that are aggressive to hens. They have to like their life with that rooster. It's not fair to them
I think that's what my dear grandmother would do. We love his voice and how he looks, and because he is so young and as a pet, I hope there is a solution.
I won't let him ever hurt her again. You're right, it wouldn't be fair.
For my peace of mind, I want to make sure I did everything.

Thank you! That sounds interesting, never heard of this before. I need to do some research. How much would his behaviour change?
They settle when they reach a year old, but jail time may adjust his behavior faster. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Predicting behavior is hard to do.

Thank you! I am glad to see rooster with peepers. Did this help? And how long did you let him to live with peepers?
He was wearing them because he wanted to beat his brother up senseless, & it worked for awhile. Then he busted free of them, & beat up his brother really badly, so I put him in a coop with a bunch of roosters who put him in his place. He's staying there though, because he may still want to beat up his brother.

He lived with them for about a couple weeks until the incident happened.

But they do work, if you have a cockerel that isn't hard to work with.

If he is nice to people, it could be that his roughness right now is due to raging hormones. He’s full of them at this age. If you really like him, I would keep him separated until he has aged a bit and then try him with the girls again. However, he may never settle down and always keep the hens in an uproar. I’ve had a couple like that, that didn’t get to stay around. All the hens breathed a sigh of relief!

Back
Top Bottom