Aggressive Rooster

@Beekissed , @BantyChooks , and @Shadrach all have good articles concerning roosters, worth reading. Shad's flock management is a lot different than what most of us have here, but good insights there.
Mary
Thank you so much for your time. I was hopeful, but.....he's gonna be dinner. He attacked me again this morning. He's done! I am angry and so very sad! He cannot be trusted and I cannot anticipate which side he's going to come at me from. This morning was another blind side attack, right upper hip this time. Luckily I had a heavy jacket on. I have pictures to remember his beauty. So sad 😞

I hand raised my little flock from hatchling age. I purchased one rooster and was given a surprise rooster chick with my order. I now have two roosters and 11 hens. My roosters did not like being handled from day one. I continued to try to gently condition them, but they remained aloof. They are now 6 months old. My Black Australorp has become very aggressive and has attacked me twice from the back and the side in the past few days. I don't understand this and I am not going to tolerate it. I was very aggressive right back at him today and he backed off and gave me my space. I was not approaching him either time. Should I even hope he will stop this behavior? Thank you in advance!
I was attacked yesterday by our nearly 6 month old Black Orpington named Lamar (a GTA5 character our son named him after). Like the video game Lamar tried his hand at assault on the back of my legs yesterday as I turned to leave the coop. I grabbed Lamar and held him face down on the ground and spoke softly to him and strokes his head and neck softly, holding him firmly down. All the other birds especially the 12 hens made a semi-circle in front of Lamar a few inches away watching Lamar get the treatment. I went in the coop today and no attack and Lamar acted calmly but avoided me as he has done since he was a chick. I will try this again if it continues more than once more, I’ll grab Lamar and hold him by his feet and walk around with him in the coop for a minute or two. There can be no doubt in your rooster’s mind that you are not only the kind giant that brings him food you’re the boss not him. We have a large Embden gander named Fat Tony (pictured in back) that doesn’t take Lamar’s crap either. So Lamar started trying to dominate our drake and then I guess he decided to have a go at me. Interestingly he’s never tried it on my wife. She’s Thai and she said they just smack them (not to hurt but to stun) aggressive roosters and don’t have any problems with them.

Attachments

• 2A69A069-7499-409B-82A3-9F18D8168BF8.jpeg
    2A69A069-7499-409B-82A3-9F18D8168BF8.jpeg
    688.3 KB · Views: 6
read my post again. Do NOT do his job. You can help him do his job and he will take credit for it. You bring the feed, water, treats, let them out or in of coop/run WITHOUT him telling the ladys first and he has to come at you.
Doing this is the best way to keep a rooster settled. A rooster will defend his flock from danger and other roosters. Don't be a rooster in his eyes.

Our one Roo is for a lack of a better word an asshole. He attacks me,my husband, the pitbull..the other roo is a timid jerk. He pretends to be big and bad if you puff your coat up or arms out he runs! Not the banta i named Chicken boo. ( i sing the song everytime i see him strutting around the yard. ( he not man he a chicken boo). To go back on topic this morning i ended hitting chicken boo with the feed scoop as he lunged at me. He shook it off and lunged at me again. I was dressed for work so i didn't want my outfit full of chicken paw prints.. i inherited these chickens. I don't want to have to butcher Boo but this agression is getting crazy

Back
Top Bottom