Aggressive Rooster

I hand raised my little flock from hatchling age. I purchased one rooster and was given a surprise rooster chick with my order. I now have two roosters and 11 hens. My roosters did not like being handled from day one. I continued to try to gently condition them, but they remained aloof. They are now 6 months old. My Black Australorp has become very aggressive and has attacked me twice from the back and the side in the past few days. I don't understand this and I am not going to tolerate it. I was very aggressive right back at him today and he backed off and gave me my space. I was not approaching him either time. Should I even hope he will stop this behavior? Thank you in advance!
If you fight back and or pin him down till he stops fight you will win an he will leave you alone

It makes me very sad! 😢 I dreamed of gentle, beautiful roosters who loved me, lIke my hens do.
Roosters can be really respectful and, though not generally cuddly, some are a pure joy to have in the flock. There are some breeds that are more likely to produce gentle roosters, but no guarantees. We have a number of roosters in our flock that work together to protect their ladies. There are too many nice ones out there to put up with evil roosters so you did the right thing.

Yes, and as you may have read further, the black one is history. The Barred Rock, Ricky, has tested the waters and came close to meeting his demise after attacking my husband. Since being "put in his place" he has behaved. Unfortunately I suspect it's only a matter of time before he tries it again. Dumb roosters!
Oh dear.... Ya gotta wonder at them sometimes.

It makes me very sad! 😢 I dreamed of gentle, beautiful roosters who loved me, lIke my hens do.
Have to say Pangoo Rooster- Brat doesn't bother me at all, in fact I can pick him up, pet him, hand feed him, I raised him from a chicklet, he has been running with the hens since he was a wee thing, never had any issues with him. He learnt fast to be nice to the ladies. He has been really good.... But he has started attacking my mum when she is doing chores and my uncle.

Have to say Pangoo Rooster- Brat doesn't bother me at all, in fact I can pick him up, pet him, hand feed him, I raised him from a chicklet, he has been running with the hens since he was a wee thing, never had any issues with him. He learnt fast to be nice to the ladies. He has been really good.... But he has started attacking my mum when she is doing chores and my uncle.
My suggestion is to fence off your yard to protect any children and visitors if you're going to free range chickens .This will to prevent attacks on others (not family members)Limiting chores to those who are familiar with him is a good idea too for liability reasons.

We don't free range here too many predators. When I am home and it's not snowing and -20c they are allowed to roam out with the horses.

But right now it's winter and they r limited to the barn, mum does chores for me when I am working. All summer he was good with her but now he attacks her. I am wondering if he doesn't recognize her in her winter gear!

I don't think that chickens 'love' people, certainly not like dogs, and cats, and some horses do.
Aside from that, roosters, stallions, bulls, boars, whatever, can be ruled by their hormones and genetics, and are not like females of the same species, often. And when their brains are smaller than their 'other parts' it's easy to see why...
Here we value roosters who spend their time with their flock, not with us.
Mary
I'm good with that. In fact, it's a great trade-off "a buddy for a great watchman" ...so long as he let's me do my job without storming me!

well you have to know how to "Have" a rooster. They are not allowed to have here but i read about keeping roosters.
Roosters are pimps. If you challenge a pimp its on. You must go to the rooster first with anything and let him be in charge. Take the feed to the rooster and let him tell the girls the food is here and i found it. If you try and do his job he sees you trying to take his ladies.
The rooster tells them what to do and when to do it. Go to the rooster first before doing anything with the girls so he can say "look at me ladies, i found this human and he will now do this for me"
I believe this to be so. I also believe if the rooster can't get on board with this plan he can get in a pot and stew.
I believe this may be true. Mine has come more after me now that I let the ladies out without him……. And I feed them with such peace in front of him….. I have not pinned him lately but it’s coming i
Make him stay in with our broody hen and he does a great protecting job with her. But it’s a game if I try to enter the coop now.

Back
Top Bottom