Aggressive Rooster

Jerisflock

Songster
Sep 3, 2021
Cuba, IL
I hand raised my little flock from hatchling age. I purchased one rooster and was given a surprise rooster chick with my order. I now have two roosters and 11 hens. My roosters did not like being handled from day one. I continued to try to gently condition them, but they remained aloof. They are now 6 months old. My Black Australorp has become very aggressive and has attacked me twice from the back and the side in the past few days. I don't understand this and I am not going to tolerate it. I was very aggressive right back at him today and he backed off and gave me my space. I was not approaching him either time. Should I even hope he will stop this behavior? Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• 20211103_090411.jpg
    20211103_090411.jpg
    544.3 KB · Views: 28
I had to make my aggressive rooster respect me out of fear. I didn't want to eat him just yet, I wanted to try taming him, but only got as far as making him fearful of me. (A coyote ate him.) 😬

I had to make my aggressive rooster respect me out of fear. I didn't want to eat him just yet, I wanted to try taming him, but only got as far as making him fearful of me. (A coyote ate him.) 😬
I didn't include that both times I was carrying feed. The first time I was leading my flock into their smaller area with a container of scratch grain in my hand. The second time I was taking down their feeder to move it.

Yes, fear is what I did to him today when I needed to go back in with him after he had just attacked me. I must admit I kicked him pretty hard after he nailed me. I don't want him to be afraid of me, but he must respect me. I will show him respect in return, which is what I've done since he was a couple days old.

I didn't include that both times I was carrying feed. The first time I was leading my flock into their smaller area with a container of scratch grain in my hand. The second time I was taking down their feeder to move it.
well you have to know how to "Have" a rooster. They are not allowed to have here but i read about keeping roosters.
Roosters are pimps. If you challenge a pimp its on. You must go to the rooster first with anything and let him be in charge. Take the feed to the rooster and let him tell the girls the food is here and i found it. If you try and do his job he sees you trying to take his ladies.
The rooster tells them what to do and when to do it. Go to the rooster first before doing anything with the girls so he can say "look at me ladies, i found this human and he will now do this for me"
I believe this to be so. I also believe if the rooster can't get on board with this plan he can get in a pot and stew.

Back
Top Bottom