Aggressive Rooster

Everyone needs to keep the #1 reason a good too that mates..feeds..protects his curl also makes getting along with him the hardest..that too is SUPPOSED to attack u..he suppose to show his girls even that tall animal will not stop me from being your man..yes u can make him stop..for a while..but every once in while he still gonna try.my roos..if there was over a couple weeks of them not tryin to stand up against me..they were dinner.every time they tried they got treated as I've always said..but they were also told every time..good boy...they are suppose to be the biggest meanest..food providing animal around..thats wut they are

I think you should tame him!
hugs.gif
show him you'r boss! if that doesn't work research it!
caf.gif
theres lots of grate articles on taming roos!
smile.png

Sorry to hear it happened Momma.
sad.png

Keep up the following him. It will make him think twice. He wont be a friendly rooster, but he should learn to at least respect you. Try not to kick him though. Chickens have small bones that run down along the sides past the rib, you know the ones, the ones that appear when eating chicken breasts or end up getting lost when making chicken soup, only to be found later when actually eating it lol. Those small bones can break very easy and can cause the bird a lot of pain and can also puncture internal organs.

I understand you were startled, and thats OK, but when dealing with birds, remember they are much more fragile than they appear. Perhaps carry an old corn broom you can bump him with if he gets serious with you. Or even an old pillow. You can get real cheap ones at walmart.

Otherwise try dedicating some time out of your day to step in the coop and show him who is boss by either carrying him or following him around.

Something else you can try too is de-spuring him. Its an easy operation that you need to do every few months. There is a youtube video on how to remove rooster spurs. They do bleed a little but some antibiotic ointment around the area should be enough. The blood will dry quickly. All you really need is pliers.

I carry their feed out in peanutbutter jars, if the roo gets aggressive or mounts a hen in front of me, I throw the empty jar at him and chase him around the lot a few times. I also keep half inch pvc by the gate to the lot they are loose on

Our rooster started a few weeks ago to attack almost everybody. Chased our 11 a hundred yards to the house. I'm the only one he doesn't peck or jump on. My wife that feeds every morning walks in to the coop with a stick now. Neighbour explained that once they can scare one or two people they try their hand on others. It's a smell fear kind of thing. I always talk to my rooster and try not to turn my back on him. He is a year old. If he keeps this up, he may become stew.
Good luck

I have a rooster that is being very aggressive. I can't even feed them until he is in the coop for the night he pecks my hands when I reach in for the food dish and jumps up and and tries to claw me. I am new to all of this so jot sure what to do!

I quietly went down to one rooster, The first one I culled was complicated, I had forgotten how to skin a bird. 2nd one was easy, a couple of weeks later. The remaining roo is not that aggressive, on the lot with hens that can use a guard, and if he gets to be a nuisance he will follow the others to the pot. If he stays nice when I need fertile eggs he can visit my laying girls. he is in a flock with 4 older hens right now. #2 cull left 13 fertile eggs after a few days with my young hens, I've got a pair of broodies sitting them now.

My first ever rooster, Christian, was a real monster. Whenever people asked me what breed he was I used to joke around telling them "pitbull". He made me bleed many times (still have the marks to prove it), but I don't have children so I gave him many chances. Did you all watch that movie I am Legend, with Will Smith, when the infected zombie-like thing kept on banging his head against the bullet-proof glass to try to kill Smith, we'll that was Christian when I locked him up after he totally trashed my linen pants one morning when I was ready to go to work. I kicked him, high heels on and all, at least four times and he just shook it off and charged back at me. That was when I finally decided he had to go. Didn't cull him, though, I didn't have the heart. Gave him away and somebody else did.
1f622.png

I really do agree that Roosters should be tough and hard as nails to be all that I expect him to be protecting my flock. I'm just trying to stay out of his way and live in harmony. He recently started standing up to my 2 dogs and I gotta laugh. My dogs are smaller than my Roo and they are scared of him now too. I walk around now with rain boots and a rake. My dominant Roo doesn't back down or scare. My other Roos, Wellington has now taken over the reins from Napoleon. This has only made Napoleon meaner. He is always freaking out about his girls that are no longer his girls and he can't stand it.

I am having a similar issue with my 4 moth old roo. He has drawn blood from my hands 3 times and he is very aggressive against my 3 girls, pulling batches of feathers from the back of their necks. I am a first time chicken raiser and I assume he's learning how to mate. I will do everything I can not to kill him but I'm not Sure I will deal with this for the long run. I will wait till he's mature before I take that corse of action. Also, I see him take a different stance when he's about to atack me so I proceed to clap my hands and making a ch-ch-ch-ch-----sound from a distance that seems to work but then I walk away, not challanging him. So far so good. Good luck.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom