Aggressive young roo attacking one young hen

lizziemt

Chirping
Jun 24, 2016
Hello, all, I'm a first time poster. I have 4 pullets that I thought were hens. I've had suspicions that one, if not two, were roos. But hadn't heard a cockle doddle doo until today.

We purchased 2 auracana chicks and 2 buff orpiington's from the local feed store in April. One of the chicks, Dusty, an auracana, has been much more stand offish than the rest. Doesn't want to sit on lap, etc., and we have just let Dusty be Dusty. While I've wondered if she is really a he.

Well today I went out because someone was making a racket. It was Dusty. As I approached, Dusty began pinning down the girl lowest on the totem pole, a BO named Goldie. Dusty was attacking her at the neck, pulling out her back feathers, and as I looked around there were lots of Goldie feathers littering the run. A few days ago I noticed Goldie in a strange position, faced into a corner with head lowered to the ground and hunched over. Didn't know what to make of it.

Dusty wouldn't stop. Goldie was taking that odd position I noticed a few days ago, and was obviously hurting and panting and making a strange little hacking noise. I wanted to remove Dusty, but it is very hard to manage him/her now, so I pulled Goldie out and put her alone out in the back pasture. This cooled things down.

Dusty hasn't gone after either of the other girls, although I think we might have a second roo, a BO.

I'm not keen on Dusty. If the BO was the rooster I'd say ok. While I had my back to the chickens someone definitely crowed, for the first time. I'm not sure it was Dusty, but judging from all the noise he was making earlier, I think he just finally managed to figure out how to crow.

Not sure how to manage this, as Dusty is solely picking on Goldie. Maybe she's matured faster? I think I should get Dusty in a cage when he acts this way, but for today I'm wondering what to do. I think I'll leave Dusty in one run and move everyone else to the other side. This is complicated by having two older chickens that we've been working towards integrating with the chicks/pullets. I'm thinking about combining everyone but Dusty, caging him at least tonight, and then see what happens tomorrow.

I'm reluctant to"let the chickens work it out", as I think Goldie might be injured. But if Dusty's our roo, is he behaving normally or do we have a problem roo?

Any thoughts or advice? Thanks very much for reading.

Sounds nasty.... not normal cockerel behaviour. He's obviously being too aggressive. If I was you I'd cull him and get another cockerel. If you don't like him that much either, then don't bother keeping him. You could have a much nicer cockerel with you hens that protects them, rather than attacks them.

I strongly suggest you get rid of him. If he behaves that way towards Goldie, he might start being nasty to your other hens, or maybe even you.

-Jet

I think roosters take a bit of experience, and even with experience can be jerks. If asked (I realize you really didn't) I always suggest having just hens the first year, then after you get some experience, possibly adding a rooster.

Jet, this is our first cockerel and I do worry that it's just a matter of time until he starts in on someone else. Thankfully right now he is very averse to we humans, but I know that could change. Thanks for your advice, as we have no roo experience we don't know what's normal.

And I agree with you, we had hopes that a roo might protect the girls. That is a fail in this situation.

Am on my 4th roo. Each one started out fine but became aggressive with me eventually except my silkie roo. The one before that was thinking of becoming aggressive but I carried bread in my pocket. The way to a man's (and roo's heart) is his stomach. I would toss out the bread and problem solved. However, a wise chicken farmer said throw a small bucket of water on an aggressive roo and they would stop. My silkie has never been aggressive.

Dusty has a screw loose. I would remove him from the flock immediately. If you rehome him, you need to do so with full disclosure.
I've managed to get Dusty clear of the other hens. He can see them through screening but can't get to the other girls. The other girls have settled down. Dusty has stopped flapping and yelling from the top roost. A temporary peace. We're considering our options! I appreciate your message, lazy gardener, that may be the only solution.

Thanks, mosander, I appreciate an alternative view. I'm willing to try something short of getting rid of Dusty, and he loves his oatmeal and I'm sure would hate the cold water treatment. We can try positive and negative reinforcement.

But while we experiment I'm going to get in touch with our nearest farmer and see if he could use a young, aggressive rooster. Does that sound crazy? I think Dusty's behavior might change with a full grown rooster around?? Or is that wishful thinking?

Be watching Goldie closely. I would pick her up and feel her weight. I am not familiar with overly aggressive roosters / cockerels as described but I have seen birds that are a bit off get treated by flock mates and the males are most likely to be the perpetrators.

Thanks, centrarchid, yes Goldie is a little "off" - a bit slower than the rest. She's always been the smallest of the group. I'll keep a close eye on her. To date, Dusty is the only chicken who's picked on her, specifically.

Back
Top Bottom