Aggy on her way out!

Aggy is still here today doing a bit better I think but - when I got the girls up this morning I found Isobella had died in the night.

She was a lovely hen and was active and normal last night having treats and sunning herself in the yard. It seems she died in the night from heart failure.
She was also a very old hen.

Oes
hit.gif

Aggy is still here today doing a bit better I think but - when I got the girls up this morning I found Isobella had died in the night.

She was a lovely hen and was active and normal last night having treats and sunning herself in the yard. It seems she died in the night from heart failure.
She was also a very old hen.

Oes :hit

:hugs

Sad to hear of Isobellas passing!

Glad Aggy is eating and you are comforting her.

I was really upset to see her go like that but it was I guess expected as she was way old. There was just no warning and she was playing in the yard and even trying to groom Aggy and then she was gone. I miss her about she was a darling hen and very gentle.
Thnaks for the kind thoughts.
I am now down to 5 hens and thinking my chicken Math needs adjusting UPWARDS!
Oes

@oesdog when it's my turn to go, I wouldn't mind going like your Isobella...be active and fine one day and gone the next. She didn't suffer and lived a long, comfortable life. It stinks to miss them but that's where it's nice to have happy memories of them.

Chicken math isn't always a bad thing. Sometimes a shot of enjoyment and fun is just what we need. And new chicks would certainly fill the bill!

I can;t quite belive it but after nearly 2 months since aggy got really sick she is still here!!!!!!!!!!
I have been giving her lots of extra food and all sorts. She doesn't sleep with the other girls but spends time out in the day with them so I can keep an eye on her.
She is now preening herself so I don;t have to wash her anymore and she is now trying to run after the other girls and also after food I throw out for them. I always put her behind me and give her extras! -lol After Isobel died Betty who is Isobels genetic chick has taken on trying to lead the group. She is half the size of a normal hen - she just didn;t grow much! But she is NOT a bantum. She has always been a bidable little hen but since she has got a little power - she has been bullying Aggy. So Aggy gets lifted and she enjoys flying in my arms and we go peck at Betty from the air and she goes running. Aggy thinks this is great fun! She is begining to coo at me again and flaps her wings to pretend fly. She always loved that game and is the only hen that does it.

I am soooo glad she is getting better but I have no idea what was wrong? She got so bad at one stage we had thought best to put her to sleep and now she is almost as good as new! She still has a bit of a ballance issue and needs to put on more weight. Her comb is still off colour and she is tired a lot but on the whole she is so much better than before.

Oes
lol.png

@oesdog
that is good news about Aggy! Thank you for the update, I was wondering about her but was kind of afraid to ask.

Well I have been afraid to get her up every morning just incase she is like poor Isobel as stiff as a board!

But she seems fine and getting on ok. I cannot even think it is the same bird who couldn;t move and just sat all fluffed up with her eyes closed. When I lifted her she was all bones and no weight on her at all. Now at least she feels like a bird not a bag of bones! I still see her getting pushed away from food so that is why she is still seperated. I think she will sleep inside in the shower tray in the really cold weather. - Ok I am soft!

Oes

This is now the time of year when things are getting amight cold outside in Ireland. With this in mind I had moved Agnes and Betty my two elderly birds into the indoor run.
Betty has had relapses of the respiritory infection I had going through the flock and few years back. I lost half my birds through it. She was the only one to survive that was infected but every winter she seems to get ill. So I put her into the inside to keep Agnes company.

This morning I went to feed them and poor Agnes looks like she has had another stroke. She was unable to get up on her feet this morning. One of her legs is all but useless.
DH thinks it is "time!" But I recall how ill she was in the summer and how after a few days she recovered enough to give her a chance and here she is months later!
She could not reach up to get feed this morning and so I got a smaller feed tray and put it beside her. She seems to be losing her ballance and falling onto her side.
I was at Church this morning so I have not had a chance to go see her. I am in my good clothes and so I am using this as a BIG EXCUSE not to go see if the poor wee might has died while I was away. DH has reminded me that we are away in February and no one will look after a sick hen! So he has said I should really think about the "Time!" - he is all set to do the necissary but I can;t bare to let him have her just yet. - After all of my nursing her these months I cannot give up on her. I have been hoping for months to find her passed away in her sleep. But she is Aggy and doesn;t want to go that easy!

Darn I am just so putting off going to the shed. What If she is in a bad way like Florence? - Aggy's sister Florence had a major stroke last year and was just propped up in her bed her body dead and her head moving! ( I didn't know what was up - but folk on here said it happens a lot to Parrets they have a stroke and the body stops working but the head won't die!) We were about to get a flight out to the mainland so poor DH had to do the necissary quickly. It was an easier thing with that bird as there clearly was no option and no hope of recovery. Now I am
getting to that point with my dear sweet lovely Aggy.

Don't you guys hate it when they die on you! Yet most of us still eat chicken -lol

Oes

Back
Top Bottom