Agressive Cockerels - What to do?!

Beth K.

Chirping
8 Years
Nov 22, 2011
The Funny Farm
Background: I ordered 1 male and 15 female chicks. The extra from the hatchery turned out to be a male (Chunky), but I didn't know that until he was about 2 months old. I hadn't prepared for owning 2 roosters because I only ordered one, but I guess I should have expected the extra. They're about 4 months old now.

My BA cockerel Gregory Peck is bent on beating up my BO cockerel, Chunky. This morning I let them all out of the coop and Gregory took after Chunky, his left wing hanging down, chasing Chunky around the yard. When they ran past me I grabbed up Gregory. I held him upside down by the legs for a moment and stroked him to see if he might calm down. Yeah right. When I set him down, he and Chunky started fighting; feathers flared, legs flying.

So I shut Gregory in the coop alone. I was going to put him in a separate cage for the day, but after about 5 mins I decided that would probably just be more disruption in the pecking order. I let him back into the run with everybody else and he and Chunky were pretty civil.

What am I going to do?! It's starting to feel like West Side Story in my backyard!

It's all about passing on their DNA. Each of the roosters wants to be the 'flock rooster'. If they have enough space that they can get away from one another, they may resolve their positions in the flock and live a somewhat amicable existance with occassional flare ups. There is also the possibility that they may never get along.

Wow that seems young for that kind of behavior. I'm not sure as this is my first year with my flock. We have 3 cockerels and they all get along fine with the 9 pullets. I've never seen them fight ever. We got them as day-old last Easter.

I forgot to mention that I've begun trying to become Alpha in the pecking order after realizing that I'd let Gregory have that slot. The fighting has been worse since then.

This morning really bothered me. I've never raised any kind of farm animal before so this is all really new for me.

I'll see if they can cohabit peaceably, but if not I will make different arrangements for one of them.

Quote:
I agree. Stick with your original plan. You knew it was the right thing to have just 1 male when you ordered the chicks. The extra male was shipped just for extra warmth.

Quote:
Funny thing is, the extra is the nicer one. (Chunky the Buff Orpington) Gregory has been bratty since he was a chick. Guess I know who stays if it comes to that. I just really don't want to get rid of either of them. I'm too sentimental.
sad.png

Beth K. :

Funny thing is, the extra is the nicer one. (Chunky the Buff Orpington) Gregory has been bratty since he was a chick. Guess I know who stays if it comes to that. I just really don't want to get rid of either of them. I'm too sentimental.
sad.png

I hear you! Its amazing how attached you get! As far as OBs, they are tremendously sweet birds. I have a soft spot for them. Of course, BAs are sweet birds, too, and their feathers I swear are softer then other birds'. The sheen in the sunlight of BAs feathers is so beautiful, especially roosters. Haha, I'd be having a tough time, too. You'll just have to decide if you're willing to risk nasty injuries in hopes of 2 hormone flooded males will play nice.​

life will be miserable for the lower level one. get rid of the least favorite. cocks were/are used for fighting for a reason. very few living things will fight and be willing to fight as much as a cock. theres only room for one in a small scale operation like yours.

Quote:
I agree! And with that said, if it were me, I would keep the BO. You will be glad in the long run. In my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom