Agressive little cockerel

Kyah_02

Chirping
Jun 20, 2018
I have a buff Orpington Americana cross that is about 8 weeks old maybe a little younger than that. I have raised him since he came out of the egg and when he was younger he was the sweetest little thing, he would follow you around and try to jump on your shoulder if you were sitting down. Now he’s crowing non stop and whenever I go out to his pen to him him food he bites me hard enough to draw blood, and he doesn’t just do a quick peck he bites and shakes and won’t let go. I don’t know what to do with him, I love him so much how do I prevent this from happening?

I have a buff Orpington Americana cross that is about 8 weeks old maybe a little younger than that. I have raised him since he came out of the egg and when he was younger he was the sweetest little thing, he would follow you around and try to jump on your shoulder if you were sitting down. Now he’s crowing non stop and whenever I go out to his pen to him him food he bites me hard enough to draw blood, and he doesn’t just do a quick peck he bites and shakes and won’t let go. I don’t know what to do with him, I love him so much how do I prevent this from happening?
2 months is awfully young to be that mean. Many problems with roosters relate to how they’re kept and your actions. Without a picture of your set up it’s hard to help. Are you hand feeding him?

He wasn't being 'sweet', he was sizing you up! Jumping on you is very aggressive, and now he's escalating his nastiness. He's a very young adolescent, and is likely to only get worse. You can try to 'reform' him, using beekissed's article about rooster management, but I doubt that you'll be successful.
One of my cockerels, from the feed store, started attacking at eight weeks of age, and never gave it up. This behavior has a genetic base, and isn't going to go well.
Enjoy your nice birds, and move this character on soon, with full disclosure, unless he's destined for your freezer.
Polite cockerels and roosters don't behave this way!
Mary

I would try giving him another month or two before making a decision on keeping him or not. There is a slight chance he could grow out of it, but it's likely not going to happen.

I know culling can be hard, especially when you've raised them from eggs. I've had a to do it a few times :( But I don't have time to keep an aggressive bird. I don't want his genes being passed on (I hatch my own eggs now) and no one really wants to adopt a mean boy. Culling quickly and humanely would be in his best interest at the end of the day. If you can't stomach it, I would reach out to a vet to put him down (If you can afford it).
Post is over 2 years old

Back
Top Bottom