Agressive Roo

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by highpointfarm, Mar 16, 2012.

1. highpointfarm

highpointfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2012
    Orange County NY
    Hey everyone.... I was Just wondering a few things about my roo.... recently he has started pecking me hard... and then today he attacked me when i went to let them out... He has never done this before... he even used to let me hold him... he is now 1 and a half years old...

Will he grow out of it? if not will there be a good chance of finding a calmer roo? or something?

2. FrizzlesRule

FrizzlesRule Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    Don't give up on him. Pick him up more if you have the time. What kind of roo is he? Is he a big or a bantam?? I seen many posts of people have agressive or mean Roos, but I've never had that problem and I've had all kinds of roos for the past 25 years. Right now I have six roos, all tame, easy to pick up. They do have their own disagreements, but never agressive towards people.

3. highpointfarm

Feb 29, 2012
    Orange County NY
    He is a HUGE speckled sussex... probably close to 15 lbs .....

4. highpointfarm

Feb 29, 2012
    Orange County NY
    can definitley do damage

5. Taglet

Taglet New Egg

Jul 8, 2011
    I was attacked by my Aracuana rooster yesterday.... in the face. I have a huge swollen lip and a puffy eye. I chased him with a little rake. Don't know if he'll learn his lesson. I used to pick him up all the time but the only way I'd go near him now would be to pick him up at night when he's roosting and I doubt there'd be any benefit to that the next day.

6. mbleily

mbleily Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2008
    Idaho
    I have had 5 mean EE roosters before I got a good one. They would chase to get to you to attach and two were really rough on the hens. This one is good with the hens but he has a mean look in his eye. LOL It is just that EE rooster look. They look like a dino raptor. I am already hating the thoughts for replacing him. He needs a new brother because I have too many hens for him but am afraid.......[​IMG]
    I hate being chased by roosters.

And by the way, I did pick them all up and my son even took one of the bad ones in his room to hold and watch tv several times. Didn't improve his disposition any!!

7. Cass

Cass Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Albany, NY
    Roosters are male. They think that anyone in their territory needs to be driven off. At least mean roos are thinking that.

Personally I won't have a human agressive roo. He becomes Roo Stew. There are toooo many free roosters out there to put up with an aggressive one.

However, if you are determined to change his mind you can try chasing him around and never letting him come near you without kicking out at him or throwing something toward him.

With that said, you'll always be watching your back and do you really want to hatch chicks with his aggressive genes? Agressive roos are one thing, but aggressive hens? Trying to get eggs out of the nest and getting pecked every time? Trying to check for bugs or worm them and having to call for assistance cuz you can't manage some of the hens? Not my idea of a wonderful time.

Time for a new roo.

8. demp4

demp4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2009
    Central NY
    I have tried to break roos in the past with no luck. Once they go after the kids they become roo stew! Usually around 1yo. I have yet to find a decent one and we hand raise all of our chicks and pick them up regularly.

9. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    I was told that getting a Roo fully grown from else where changes there behavior. MEaning if he is an adult and sent to another home, he is low on the totem pole and am told there pretty gentle. Not sure if it's true, but I have heard that's how some folks get there roo's as there's turn mean and they trade there's with someone elses and the roo's do well since there in different territory's .

10. FrizzlesRule

FrizzlesRule Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    What do you all feed your roos that are mean???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by