Agressive rooster advice?

nieceharr

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 25, 2008
Connecticut
Hi. I have a rooster who is becoming agressive and I need to know if I'm on the right track with what I'm doing.

First of all, all my chickens are pets. I can't cull them - if anything, I would try to re-home my roo if it gets too bad. BUT my children and I are VERY attached to him, even if he is fresh.

I've read other posts about agressive roos. I will not allow my 6-yr old in the backyard alone if Henry (my roo) is out of his coop. I can't take any chances with my son getting hurt. I don't turn my back on him - ever. I have learned the hard way that this is when he is worse. My husband, 13-yr old and I will pick him up and carry him around when he is agressive. We wait until he relaxes, lowers his head and closes his eyes before putting him back down. Sometimes I don't have time to wait for this to happen, and at those times, I'll hang him upside down until he "submits". I try to not make any sudden moves around him as well.

Is there anything else I can do? Are we doing anything wrong? We never wanted a roo - one of our "hens" turned out to be a "he". But we all love him very much - he is a part of our family and I am trying everything I can to make this work. He is still young and his spurs are still short. I also read about trimming those and will do that when they get longer. Will he "calm down" when he gets older - or will it get worse? Thank you for any advice you can give me.

I completely understand about having the chickens as pets but I think you need to find him a new home. I have seen more aggression today and am doing that very thing tomorrow. The box is ready to go and my husband will put him in tonight when he is roosting and calm. When someone mentioned that they could take out an eye, my decision was made. It is not worth it!!!

If he does get worse and you can't find a new home try clipping or filing off his spur. It won't hurt him, its just a toe nail basically. That way if he jumps he won't stab u with anything.

I had to rehome one of my roos that became aggressive. Nothing I did seem to help so I sold him.

My new roo is just great no problems at all.

I had a silkie roo that had it in for my DH. Everytime he went in the backyard the thing would stalk him. He had to go too.

I just dealt with my roo about 10 minutes ago. He came at me again.

The other advice you've gotten is great. If you can't cull him you'll have to find another home for him.

It's a very good idea that you don't let your 6 year old near him. My roo flew at me once from behind and scratched the back of my arm. If he had had spurs he would have cut my arm open.

Thank you. I'm curious about how old your roos are - do they get better or worse as they get older? I was hoping that maybe since he is still young, his hormones are raging which is why he is so fresh - is this wishful thinking? He is only 5-1/2 months old.

Back
Top Bottom