Agressive Rooster

chickenut

Chirping
8 Years
May 6, 2011
I received 4 hens a rooster from my dad yesterday. The rooster acted fine in the coop then but when I went out to feed the hens he attacked me. He was flying about waist high and would not quit trying to spur me. Has anyone dealt with a mean rooster?

Thanks

I hear this alot! In my oppinion there is no place for a mean rooster, except the freezer. By instinct he is protecting his girls. I've hear several people try to show them who's boss. Some say hold them down on the ground for a few seconds, or grabbing them by the legs and hanging them upside down until they stop wiggling. Usually they'll walk away wondering what the heck just happened! In my experience, never show them fear and stand up to them. If the rooster continues being aggressive, he need to be dealt with! I hope others chime in and give you some more advice. I had a very mean rooster, he would attack my 4 yr old, and I had to bring a shovel or broom out to the coop with my to protect myself. Then one day he attacked my husband, that was the end!

I don't tolerate aggressive roosters--there is no reason to unless you are a breeder and he is a highly-prized rare-breed roo.

A rooster can blind a child or potentially even an adult if you happen to stoop down to pick up something and get spurred.

We tried to "rehabilitate" a mean rooster once, which ended with chicken stew after he spurred me in the thigh.

There are *PLENTY* of beautiful, well-mannered roosters out there--I have two now, a buff brahma and a barred Rock, that are both delightful.

Let the mean rooster go to the stewpot and keep only nice ones.
smile.png

You need to establish yourself as Alpha Rooster. Start with Shock and Awe. Isolate him in chicken jail for a day or few, or pick him up and hold & pet him in front of the ladies. After you have taken him down a peg, keep him in place by speed-walking after him for a while. Do this daily. Do not get out of his way, you are much bigger than him.

If he is a hazard to your health or others, then relocate him to another coop or freezer camp.

Here is a longer discussion of Handling Rooster Aggression.

I have a really aggressive rooster and haven't been successful in "taming" him... tried everything they said here but nothing has worked with mine. He is only aggressive with me and he is kept in a pen so he is not a threat to anyone at this point. I have a broom that I carry and he for some reason is petrified of it and keeps his distance. But if I am out side walking around the pen he will come running at me full speed into the fence.. does his little chicken dance at me..gives me the stink eye... little does he know his days are numbered...he is good with the ladies and protects them whaen we are not around.... but if a kinder gentler roo comes about from my recent hatch.. this guy goes to freezer camp.

We have one that attacked me after he saw me holding the broody. He went after me all that day until I pushed/threw him across the coop. I then went and would walk right up to him until he backed away. I think this time of year their hormones are crazy. He did this about 2 weeks ago and since then has not attacked. I did pick up one of his girls yesterday and he puffed up and ran at me, but stopped about 2 feet from me and just gave me the stink eye.

Boy I feel so lucky with my White Rock roos Kyle and Kurt. Of course the WR is a laid back breed which makes it easy.

I am of the belief that genetics pays a big part when it come to the disposition of a rooster. With that in mind I wouldn't allow an aggressive rooster to propagate its genes through my flock. There are too many good roosters out there and by good I mean the kind that will respect people while doing their job.

When it comes to treat time I always make sure that Kurt and Kyle get first crackers so that they can give them to their girls. It's kind of like "You respect me and I'll make you look good in the eyes of the flock."

I've used a water bottle with roos before and had it be successful. A squirt of water in the face as they are mounting their attack often makes them think twice about attacking. It does not work with truly aggressive/mean boys, but with one who is just trying to protect and show its dominance, it can work wonders.

Quote:
My rooster got aggressive again when spring hit. I just held him under my arm and stroked his neck for a while. A month later he got aggressive when I was carrying a broody hen. Since my hands were full, I stuck my foot out and let him have a go. As soon as I put her down gently I chased him (speed walk) for a long while. Hazed him daily for several minutes daily. He finally noticed that I was not hurting the hen (and later, chicks) and he stopped racing up all concerned. He still watches, but he does so from across the run.

He is a good rooster. He makes sure the ladies are safe and have food. He lets everybody know when predators are around. He respects my authority except when something unusual happens, like spring or broody transportation and then he learns to adapt.

I have a friend that their chick who used to be the sweetest little thing.. changed! Once he became the man of the coop.. he just got mean! They didn't have the heart to put him in the pot.. but it got so bad.. that they couldn't even get into the coop without him attacking...

So he had enough... and found something that Mr Rooster wasn't expecting.

His granddaughters Wiffle Bat!
smile.png

He's tried to attack him Twice... and only twice, since he brough the wiffle bat out.. it seems that it makes a LOUDER thud.. than it hurts.. but I'm sure getting your direction reversed in mid-flight and that loud distinctive "POP" that bat is known for... made him rethink his options.

Anytime he goes to the Coop now... Mr Rooster makes a B-Line for the furthest point away from him
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom